UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

EVO get S2000 long termer

Old 08-02-2004, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

totally - the engine is the main appeal of the S because it is so different. Any driver (not the car!!) can get caught napping!
Old 08-02-2004, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having worked with a few motoring journalists for a number of years I find myself having very little respect for them these days, and taking everything they say/write with an incredibly large pinch of salt...
Old 08-02-2004, 11:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by douglasr,Aug 2 2004, 09:40 PM
I agree with the opinions expressed in the Evo write up. I continually find myself following the 40 - 50 mph crew and its always a quandry whether to go for 2nd and make the extra change or run the risk of running into the rev limiter or use 3rd and wait for the engine to come on-cam. On a turbo car or larger capacity engine, this is less of an issue as you have a bigger flatter torque curve to play with.

A TT 225 will leave an S2000 for dead if the S2000 is in the wrong gear - you will need a substantial distance to catch up.

Yes, the S2000 does need to be caned to get the best from it- that was part of the initial appeal for me as it was the same in my previous 2 Honda's. but sometimes I get a little tired of it now.

inmho, 2nd gear in the S2000 is too tall - its runs out at 62 iirc, this is so the car gets a better 0-60 time (1 less change = 0.4 seconds or so). it would be a better car if 2nd was a little shorter.

One thing I love about the 'S' is the amount of people that stop and stare at it when its parked in the street - I was sitting near the car and I reckon about 75% gave it a good look as they walked past. When I was out for a drive yesterday I heard a number of comments like "oh look an S2000", or "what car is that?". Nothing to do with driving the thing, but satisfactory none the less.
i think that the comment evo about the gearing is dead on, in that you do often have to change gear half way through an overtaking manouver and i have hit the limiter a few times until i learnt to judge the revs by ear rather than looking at the rev counter. but that doesn't detract from the overall appeal of the car.

however, i chose the s2000 because of its engine. to me its a feature rather than a flaw and i enjoy working the engine and the gearbox hard.

the comment about being caught in the wrong gear applies to any car. i view the vtec engine as being a bit like a turbo engine in that you have to drive a turbo car in a certain way if you don't want to get caught off boost. you have to drive a vtec car a certain way if you don't want to get caught off cam.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:02 AM

I agree about the gearing. I loved the S2000 engine and the feeling of 6000 - 9000 but there were times when it was very frustrating. Yes, I could of changed down for a couple of seconds but sometimes it's nice to have that instant wallop of power.

Funny enough a few of the Lotus brigade are complaining that the new 111r suffers from a similar problem. The 190 toyota VVTi engine revs fairly high and only comes on song for the latter part of each gear..making it a slower car on twistie roads than the 111s that uses the K series engine.

I know what they mean. My S2000 could never keep up with a standard Elise on very twistie roads - but given longer bends and straights I would start to gain after 50 m.p.h +.

Will be interesting to see if EVO like it after a few months - once the chap starts to learn how to drive it.

(I, like others, feel that EVO has gone down hill recently)
Old 08-03-2004, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lotusman,Aug 3 2004, 08:02 AM
Funny enough a few of the Lotus brigade are complaining that the new 111r suffers from a similar problem. The 190 toyota VVTi engine revs fairly high and only comes on song for the latter part of each gear..making it a slower car on twistie roads than the 111s that uses the K series engine.
It's the classic torque vs horsepower argument, it's harder work to keep a high revving engine on song than one with low-down torque - fine on a racetrack but for everyday driving it can be frustrating at times.

Personally I like the dual nature of the S2000 most of the time, but every now and again it can be frustrating. However like most things you learn to live with it and if you expect the S2000 (or indeed the 111R) to drive like other road cars and don't try to modify your driving style, you'll always be disappointed.

Horses for courses really. Though it doesn't surprise me that the VVTi Elise is a 'love it or hate it' car like the S2000 for that reason.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:31 AM

EVO have been inconsistent about the S over the last few years. They pitched the O2 version against the 2.7 Boxster a coupe of years ago, and it came out very well.

Then in the last issue they compared the O4 and O2, and implied that the latter was sh$te.

So no surprises in this issues first review of their long termer O4.

The comment about the digital dash made me laugh. They reckon it's harder to read than a conventional one...........now that is just nonsense. Whenever I drive any other car I spend a few seconds trying to read dials (which feels like a dangerous few minutes), whereas with the S I don't even have to take my eyes off the road!

They're taking it on a track next issue............

I suscribe to EVO, and for other reasons do find the quality of some of their reviews a bit tiring. By contract I find Car a very well written and edited magazine. It always was............

Dean
Old 08-03-2004, 02:32 AM

EVO have been inconsistent about the S over the last few years. They pitched the O2 version against the 2.7 Boxster a coupe of years ago, and it came out very well.

Then in the last issue they compared the O4 and O2, and implied that the latter was sh$te.

So no surprises in this issues first review of their long termer O4.

The comment about the digital dash made me laugh. They reckon it's harder to read than a conventional one...........now that is just nonsense. Whenever I drive any other car I spend a few seconds trying to read dials (which feels like a dangerous few minutes), whereas with the S I don't even have to take my eyes off the road!

They're taking it on a track next issue............

I suscribe to EVO, and for other reasons do find the quality of some of their reviews a bit tiring. By contract I find Car a very well written and edited magazine. It always was............

Dean
Old 08-03-2004, 03:19 AM

Do the comments about changing gear while overtaking not apply to the specific situation?

And wouldn't there be situations in torquier cars where you would have to change gear while overtaking?

You just need to be alert when driving and plan the manoeuvre properly.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:28 AM

I think you are right San

One of the appeals of the car to me is that you have to learn how to drive it-you need to know exactly what each gear can + cannot do, when to change down1,2,3,4 gears, at what speed redline/vtec is etc. The situation also changes upon an additional passenger and whether top down/top up. I am still learning after 18 months of ownership

For me it makes most journeys more interesting.

This car is not an a to b car-so I can understand how some people wouldn't like it
Old 08-03-2004, 03:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moggy,Aug 3 2004, 11:28 AM
This car is not an a to b car-so I can understand how some people wouldn't like it
Heres a cutting statement. A cutting statement from me? Never....

I could NOT use my S as a daily driver, no way, it`d piss me off.

No way at all.

The S is a great motor and a journey of 300 miles is no problem. But I *HAVE* to know I can stick it in the garage and then get a normal car out. I could not hit the motorways of the UK, longterm in it and hope for each journey to be a relaxing one. It just isn`t.

The S is a toy. I think for most it is and for those that use it a daily motor, they`ll probably sell it - there ar some quirks to this, like AE who has done a million miles in his but not for me.

Great car, great revving, but I need sanity most days. The S is for fun only.

Quick Reply: EVO get S2000 long termer