UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

EVO get S2000 long termer

Old 08-02-2004, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO get S2000 long termer

Sorry if this has been posted already but a search didn't reveal anything.

EVO mag have now got themselves an MY04 S2000 GT in Nurby Blue...... unfortunately the first months comments didn't exactly bode well for educating the boys at EVO.

Comments (not word for word as I don't have the mag in front of me) such as "when overtaking you either have to have the engine screaming in 2nd gear VTEC and then change up mid manouver or start off in 3rd and wait for the high lift cams to come on tap"

Or "I didn't expect to be left standing by an Audi TT"..... no unmodded TT has ever caught me napping!

Or "Needs to be driven within an inch of its life"

...... suggest the "owner" hasn't had chance to get used to the way the car works yet....... he did suggest it will be used on track soon so lets hope they have a dry day (sods law says it will be a damp day and EVO will slag it off again for twitchy handling) where the S can show its stuff!

Only time will tell!
Old 08-02-2004, 05:53 AM

Evo have never been huge fans of the S! Although in a recent edition of they did commend honda with the changes made on the '04 model. I don't think I have ever heard them say the car is bad... Usually mention it's value for money when the car is pitched up against competetors.

The car isn't always easy to drive, sometimes managing the cars sweet spot for swift overtaking can be difficalt. If you don't enjoying wringing out the engine and changing gear all the time then the S probably isn't for you. Personally I get a real kick out of it, but more importantly I don't feel the car has an image attached to it like many do! I can't stand all that crap!
Old 08-02-2004, 06:07 AM
Banned

Couldn't care less what Evo think, it's one of the worst car mags I've ever read,

I know what my car is capable of, so if they don't "get" it, it's their loss.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by markda,Aug 2 2004, 01:53 PM
The car isn't always easy to drive, sometimes managing the cars sweet spot for swift overtaking can be difficalt. If you don't enjoying wringing out the engine and changing gear all the time then the S probably isn't for you. Personally I get a real kick out of it, but more importantly I don't feel the car has an image attached to it like many do! I can't stand all that crap!
Old 08-02-2004, 06:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm quite pleased to see them take one on long term. they might get over their prejudices.

incidentily, i like evo. however, with the exception of this months' eddition, i felt the last few months edditions had gone off the boil. so i emailed them telling them that and had a personal response from peter tomalin. there followed an exchange of emails where he addressed my comments and asked for my feedback. i was very surprised to get a personal response.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bada Bing!,Aug 2 2004, 02:07 PM
Couldn't care less what Evo think, it's one of the worst car mags I've ever read,

I know what my car is capable of, so if they don't "get" it, it's their loss.
- on both counts.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let the muppets test cars for the chavs to drool and dream over!! Keep the S secret!
Old 08-02-2004, 11:01 AM

yep, I'm hoping they don't like it - still.

but do hope they don't have any high running costs..

and, call me daft, but isn't the knack of being in the right gear, at the right time, and getting the most out of the engine and chassis the basis of most competitive sports driving ??
Old 08-02-2004, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by wadswoaj,Aug 2 2004, 01:18 PM
"when overtaking you either have to have the engine screaming in 2nd gear VTEC and then change up mid manouver or start off in 3rd and wait for the high lift cams to come on tap"

Or "I didn't expect to be left standing by an Audi TT"..... no unmodded TT has ever caught me napping!

Or "Needs to be driven within an inch of its life"
I agree with the opinions expressed in the Evo write up. I continually find myself following the 40 - 50 mph crew and its always a quandry whether to go for 2nd and make the extra change or run the risk of running into the rev limiter or use 3rd and wait for the engine to come on-cam. On a turbo car or larger capacity engine, this is less of an issue as you have a bigger flatter torque curve to play with.

A TT 225 will leave an S2000 for dead if the S2000 is in the wrong gear - you will need a substantial distance to catch up.

Yes, the S2000 does need to be caned to get the best from it- that was part of the initial appeal for me as it was the same in my previous 2 Honda's. but sometimes I get a little tired of it now.

inmho, 2nd gear in the S2000 is too tall - its runs out at 62 iirc, this is so the car gets a better 0-60 time (1 less change = 0.4 seconds or so). it would be a better car if 2nd was a little shorter.

One thing I love about the 'S' is the amount of people that stop and stare at it when its parked in the street - I was sitting near the car and I reckon about 75% gave it a good look as they walked past. When I was out for a drive yesterday I heard a number of comments like "oh look an S2000", or "what car is that?". Nothing to do with driving the thing, but satisfactory none the less.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE=douglasr,Aug 2 2004, 09:40 PM] I agree with the opinions expressed in the Evo write up.

Quick Reply: EVO get S2000 long termer