UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Eurotunnel or Ferry?

Old 05-31-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eurotunnel or Ferry?

A question for those of you using the short crossing to/from Calais with your S2000. Do you prefer Eurotunnel or P&O?

I usually use Eurotunnel with my Swiss Ford Kuga. Although it’s less than 1.85m high, I’ve always selected the high vehicle option and find the single-deck carriages nice and spacious.

On my last journey Calais/Folkestone, although being directed to the single-deck lane as per my booking, I was then forced to use the double-deck carriages “for operational reasons”. I hated this as I found the space very tight as I was unfortunate enough to be positioned next to the stairs compartment in the middle of the carriage, thus reducing the width of the carriage. People were continually trying to squeeze past. I didn’t even have room to open my door to get out of my car (left-hand drive, of course).

I’m planning on taking my S2000 to Switzerland for a few weeks in the Summer, but really don’t want to use the double-deck carriages ever again. I checked with Eurotunnel and they said a car with a low clearance should in any case be booked as a high space vehicle and check-in staff will ensure that it's boarded in a single-deck carriage. I couldn’t see anything on the website that specifies this.

Does anyone have any experience of booking and travelling using the high space option with their S2000? Or do you just use the regular double-deck carriages?

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

When I went through the Tunnel to Euromeet, it wasn't a double decker, we just booked normal tickets and didn't specify anything. I thought it was great, and much better than a Ferry
Old 05-31-2012, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been on the tunnel when they were loading both lower and upper decks at the same time, and they were just sending 4x4s etc. up the top and normal cars and certainly sports cars in the bottom. I think they're pretty sensible about it. More often than not when I've been on the tunnel it's been a single decker anyway.

Tunnel is so much quicker. On the other hand, you don't get to see the sea, or have a meal or whatever.

I would think positioning you somewhere where you can't open the door and get out is against all their safety regulations, for obvious reasons.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:26 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

I've done both ferry & tunnel many times and tunnel wins for me-

On the ferry you could be parked near the stairs and you have an army of string vests playing "I need to be the first to my car", clunking there bottles of duty free into your paintwork with their kids sticky mits mauling your polished pride, at least in the tunnel you can stand next to the car and give them evils if they get too close.

A rough crossing on the ferry is never plesent (except if you're Loftust), I've never felt seasick in the tunnel.

If the car in front/behind starts moving, the driver is there to yank the handbrake on properly, that won't happen on a car deck.

Trains can catch fire, but I've never heard of one sinking.

The roads out of the tunnel are an easyier way to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road and anticlockwise roundabouts. With the ferries you drive (generaly) through the town to get out with the weird French "give way" rules.

The roads out of the tunnel are usually full of brits who will be reacting just like you, not Frenchies two inches from your bumper because the are despirate to overtake you.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:11 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Some very good points ^

However, I have crossed dozens of times with DFDS (formerly Norfolkline) and none of the above has ever happened, and I've been parked all over the boat.

Ferry is cheaper, the on board breakfast is usually pretty good and a sensible use of time, plus there is more of a sense of occasions somehow.

I will add though, I only ever cross for euro trips or jaunts to the ring, I dare say if I had any sort of professional or 'serious' reason to be over there, I'd probably use the train.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 PM

I always go for the ferry, DFDS Dover to Dunkerque, takes a bit longer but I see that as a good break since the channel is the half way point between home and Nurburg It's also cheaper and leaves you with a slightly shorter trip on the other side.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always take DFDS, because it's the cheapest and am never in a hurry but I do prefer the eurotunnel.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:49 PM

Eurotunnel as it means your car doesn't get dinged and scraped by mongs squeezing past you and opening their doors onto you.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:27 AM

Eurotunnel for me everytime, I hate the thought of putting my car on a ferry as everytime I take a car on one it seems that at least 80% of the others in cars have a distinct lack of respect for others property, beware the door ding & zip/pushchair/bag scratch!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by gbduo
Eurotunnel as it means your car doesn't get dinged and scraped by mongs squeezing past you and opening their doors onto you.

Originally Posted by Laserlady
Eurotunnel for me everytime, I hate the thought of putting my car on a ferry as everytime I take a car on one it seems that at least 80% of the others in cars have a distinct lack of respect for others property, beware the door ding & zip/pushchair/bag scratch!
Did you/do you travel in single-decak or double-deck carriages?

As I said, Eurotunnel have told me that the S2000 would go in a single-deck carriage and I'm interested in seeing if anyone has faced "resistance" to that principle when they board.

Quick Reply: Eurotunnel or Ferry?