UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

EU proposes standard speed limit

Old 08-03-2005, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EU proposes standard speed limit

Taken from the latest update e-mail sent out by Origin:

Andris Piebalgs, the EU's energy commissioner, has called for a blanket 100kph (62mph) speed limit throughout Europe.

Following a recommendation by the International Energy Association, Mr Piebalgs has suggested there should be a uniform speed limit both to reduce accidents and cut down on energy consumption. Mr Piepalgs commented: "If in Germany cars are speeding at 200kph (124mph) they are using too much petrol."

Germany is the only country in the EU with speed limit-free roads. A posting on German magazine Der Spiegel's web site said, "With those speed limits we would be castrated."

As compelling a reason as I've ever seen for leaving the EU forthwith!
Old 08-03-2005, 06:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe they'd do that on motorways! Having only just experienced the joy that is de-restricted Autobahns, they cannot take that away. 70mph is too slow when the road is clear. 130kph like France is more like it. 100kph on country roads maybe...
Old 08-03-2005, 06:04 AM

Old 08-03-2005, 06:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FFS! This is the reason I wrote a dissertation at uni - so I could quote Thatcher and slag of the EU (the riveting subject of the EU Second Banking Directive actually..) What happened to the association of free trading sovereign states? I can understand the legislation aimed at removing internal trade barriers etc, but why does Brussels think it can interfere in such matters?

I blame the Belgians (and the French and the Spanish, and the Germans a bit too).
Old 08-03-2005, 06:21 AM

Driving at 124mph in Germany, not speeding assmunch

This isnt going to happen. Fear not people.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:25 AM

Interesting how on one hand you have these people trying to prevent us speeding and on the other you have car manufacturers trying to produce better, safer, more powerful, faster cars.

Maybe they should start at the source of the problem?

It's like Jeremy Clarkson said on TG the other day. "It's not speed that kills, it's the sudden stop when you hit something"
Old 08-03-2005, 06:47 AM

If they want to conserve energy shouldnt there be a minimum speed limit of 52mph (usually the most effcient speed) on every single road?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by pjsub,Aug 3 2005, 03:47 PM
If they want to conserve energy shouldnt there be a minimum speed limit of 52mph (usually the most effcient speed) on every single road?
Now that is a GREAT idea. I shall pass that on to my Uncle who puts ideas before the EU.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:14 AM

Perhaps someone could tell the muppet lorries that were leapfrogging down the A34 on Monday too, slowing ALL the traffic to 45mph on a dual carriageway for about 20 miles with their shenannigans!!!!
Old 08-03-2005, 03:39 PM

When I was in the UK a few weeks ago, I averaged 52mph on a run from Gloucester to Warrington. What's all the fuss about???

Going back quite a few years, it was the Germans and Americans who were pushing for catalytic converters to become standard on cars to clean up emissions. Of course, being such a 'blunt instrument' all that does is make cars more thirsty. At the time there was research going into lean burn engines etc as the alternative (British and smarter) way to cut down on emissions by the simple expedient of burning less fuel, but we all know which design solution won How about insisting on a maximum weight of cars (and their passengers) - just as valid to keep as this idea to keep the Green loonies happy.

Sometimes I am very glad I live somewhere both not in the EU and that doesn't (yet at any rate!) have a national speed limit

Quick Reply: EU proposes standard speed limit