UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Environmental stuff

Old 08-07-2006, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least they actually invest in roads and public transport in the rest of europe. The roads here in london are shit you need a 4x4 to travel them. There public transport is dirty, disease ridden and takes ages to get you anywhere. I spent an hour on a coach once, hopefully never again.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer,Aug 7 2006, 12:59 PM
Apparantly the most efficient way to travel is by coach.

Next time I want to sit with my knees stuffed up my nose, with some awful person jabbing me in the back, another one reclining into my face, arrive at my destination crumpled, distressed, and several hours later, I'll remember that !
Apart from you (95% of the time) won't arrive at your desired destination, just somewhere nearby.

Then you will have to walk/get a taxi/get picked up/ etc.. before you actually arrive at where you want to be.

I'm sure the coach won't pick you up from your house either
Old 08-07-2006, 05:01 AM

Kelk, I 110%
Old 08-07-2006, 08:11 AM

I think there is a problem in the UK and they should do something about stupid big cars like SUV's. I think any taxes should be based on usage though the money should go to improving public transport.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by danw,Aug 7 2006, 04:11 PM
I think there is a problem in the UK and they should do something about stupid big cars like SUV's.
Why? The average SUV has car like emissions these days, car like fuel consumption (well, comapred to the S2000 anyway) and takes up little more space than a conventional car.
Or is it just the usual adolescent 'ban anything I don't like/can't afford' attitude?

I think any taxes should be based on usage though the money should go to improving public transport.
We already are taxed on usage, through petrol tax.
And since public transport is privately owned, why should my taxes be used to fund private businesses?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by MarkB,Aug 7 2006, 08:15 AM
Why? The average SUV has car like emissions these days, car like fuel consumption (well, comapred to the S2000 anyway) and takes up little more space than a conventional car.
Or is it just the usual adolescent 'ban anything I don't like/can't afford' attitude?

We already are taxed on usage, through petrol tax.
And since public transport is privately owned, why should my taxes be used to fund private businesses?

Thats a damn good point. If public transport were public surely it should be cheap as it would be subsidised.

Why does it cost me
Old 08-07-2006, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove through 5 euro continental countries on my recent holiday to the tirol.. 4 of them EU states..

each with a different fuel price.. each with a different car tax to purchase and then own, each with a different road usage charge.. different MOT standards/frequencies, different safety rules on what I should have in the car in case of emergency..

the cars are the same.. the roads are pretty much the same..

I thought the EU was about making things standard..
Old 08-07-2006, 08:44 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Richy123,Aug 7 2006, 01:59 PM
At least they actually invest in roads and public transport in the rest of europe. The roads here in london are shit you need a 4x4 to travel them. There public transport is dirty, disease ridden and takes ages to get you anywhere. I spent an hour on a coach once, hopefully never again.
That is the nub - at current rates of re-surfacing, the UK's roads will continue to disintegrate. We'll all be forced into driving SUVs before long.

If it takes higher taxes to fix 'em, so be it. It's just that we know it's not gonna happen & we're all gonna be buttfarked yet again!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Ryn

Why not abolish car tax and put extra tax on fuel.

'Gas guzzling' cars that use more fuel will therefore pay more tax.

People who do lots of miles each year will pay more for the wear and tear they do to the roads.

People who do less miles each year and instead opt to cycle/walk/get a bus will pay less tax to reflect this.

It makes sense, no?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:58 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Nah, it'd reduce the red tape & put the jobsworths on the dole queue.

They're all secret 'Keynesians.'

Quick Reply: Environmental stuff