UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Engine went Bang!

Old 02-13-2008, 02:29 PM
eho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Engine went Bang!

for a little while now i notice there are oil spils around the ignition coil under the spark plug cover. me and my friends believed that the spark plug oil ring is at fault. i went and ordered a new partfrom honda.

on my way home tonight, all of a suddent engine went bang. straight away, lost of power, its like some1 pull the key out of the ignition. luckly there is a petrol station near by and i quickly pull into it. pop the bonnet and the worst has happened.

the spark plug has come loose and pushed the ignition coil upwards (even made a dent in the bonnet!) , while it has done that, it seems like it has mess up the thread in the top block of the engine. now the spark plug wouldnt go back in.

we are currently thinking of removing the top engine block, sent it off and have it re-threaded.

any1 that has engine rebuild done before or can recommended some1 who can do this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:37 PM

Gutted for you!!

Rethreading the spark plug hole on the head....

Well, it would have to be welded up, drilled out, then rethreaded or you'd have an odd sparkplug!
Old 02-13-2008, 02:50 PM
eho

i just had a quick peek at the workshop manual, its gonna be a loooong process to take out the engine top block. im not too sure if im confident enough to do this or go to Honda or other garage and have the job done...
Old 02-13-2008, 02:50 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Get a new head IMO. If it's really buggered you won't be able to re tap it. It will have been rattling its way out and buggered them on its travels.

Or at least take the head off to work on it.

This is spark plug issue number 5 by my counting

Think i'll look at getting a sticky thread up for people to check theirs and the recall.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:51 PM

2004... I'd be straight to Honda with that!

Not a cert but worth a punt.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:54 PM
MB

True.

Esp if they serviced it.

This is just another in a long list what I call major faults on these cars

PS - you can get varous thread inserts and repair kits but not sure what success you would get.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by MB,Feb 13 2008, 03:50 PM
Get a new head IMO. If it's really buggered you won't be able to re tap it. It will have been rattling its way out and buggered them on its travels.
I was thinking new head - but it might just be possible to repair it. Suppose it all depends on cost and damage. Head HAS to come off so it'd be worth a look.

But if a head comes in at ~
Old 02-13-2008, 03:05 PM
MB

yep i'd bet there are some machine shops which could do it, just not sure how easy it would be.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:10 PM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I see from your sig that you had non standard plugs fitted, you didn't torque them to the setting in the service manual by any chance?

Chris.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:12 PM
eho

the problem lies in spark plug #1 (the one closest to the front of the engine). all the others were fine.

Quick Reply: Engine went Bang!