UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Engine swap

Old 12-03-2012, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap

Any of you who may have read any of my more recent threads may have seen I've been a little unlucky with the engine in my S. she is a 53 plate with 59k on the clock, just over a week ago without any warning my engine management light came on followed by engine failure. Basically my oil pump failed which caused my crank to break and various other components in lower engine.
Any how, I have sourced a garage with an 06 engine with 37k, it will be supplied, fitted with 6 month warranty.
Are there any changes between 53 plate engine and 06? (Engine size?, torque? revs?) Will this affect the cost I pay in car tax?
Thank you in anticipation guys
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't quote me on this; but I believe 06 > engines are drive by wire, where as your car will originally be equipped with a cable actuated throttle body.

Making the swap more difficult, but not impossible.

There are a few other differences, particularly around the valve cover, which has slightly different positioning of TDC sensors and your PCV valve etc, but again; nothing that can't be sorted. Make sure you keep your old engine handy to steal the parts from that you need before you scrap it.

Oh, and no difference in power, torque or revs, but many users report that the later engines feel 'smoother' in the transition onto VTEC etc. There is a slight difference between how my 2002 felt and my 2004 does, but then it has a different level of tuning so it's not really a fair representation.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll struggle fitting an 06 engine to your car if it's DBW version. There are different amount of sensors and a couple of small differences. The displacement and other specs are the same. It might be easier to buy 00-05 engine because it's straight swap. Engine swap doesn't affect your car tax.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Or just swap over the rocker cover and the inlet manifold. I think that's where the only differences are.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 PM

Thank you all for this information.
This equips me with a little more knowledge before my car is taken by the garage. I presume I should be giving supported evidence of from where my new car has come/ mileage/ year?
Thanks again
Old 12-19-2012, 03:05 AM

Telsheds
Let us know how you get on , I'm in the same position

K3nguru

Would as suggested changing rocker and inlet manifold sort the swap ???
Old 12-19-2012, 03:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry mate, I'm no expert and can't answer to your question. I would however believe that changing them would do the trick. For more knowledge, check this out. Maybe mr-pitts or S2000_FUN can aswer you because they have both engine versions.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:58 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K3Nguru
Sorry mate, I'm no expert and can't answer to your question. I would however believe that changing them would do the trick. For more knowledge, check this out. Maybe mr-pitts or S2000_FUN can aswer you because they have both engine versions.
Tommi no i never done it. But Telsheds if its a DBW you need to install the following.

1. On both cams, remove the stock 06 trigger wheel (1) and install your trigger wheels (2).
2. Replace the valve cover with your valve cover.
3. Install your sensors in the valve cover.
4. Remove the crank pulley and swap the crank trigger wheel with your trigger wheel.
5. Remove Crank sensor and install your crank sensor.

You are also going to need to use your engine harness to connect the sensors.

Not sure about the trigger wheel but i believe is different

Chris
Old 12-19-2012, 08:15 AM

Cheers,
Have posted looking for concise changes....
Old 12-19-2012, 08:20 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Not worth the hassle IMO. Can you not find an 04/05 engine?

Quick Reply: Engine swap