UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Engine removal

Old 09-03-2012, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine removal

Whats the better way to remove , from the top or bottom.....
Old 09-03-2012, 11:15 AM

I say bottom (If you have a ramp) because you have to get under there are drop the subframe to get to the gearbox bellhousing bolts anyway.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:54 PM

Cheers ultra, presume there are no suprise Honda only fixings like the French .....
Old 09-04-2012, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zagamuffin
Cheers ultra, presume there are no suprise Honda only fixings like the French .....
As said above if you have a ramp, I haven't so I took mine out from above. An engine lift is a must. I needed one as I was working on my own and certainly wouldn't have managed without one.. Before you split it whichever way you go make sure you remove the clutch fork.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From above is the best way, but you will need an engine lift (you can hire them). The engine will come out with the gear box connected. Lots of room in the engine bay to do this.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:32 PM

Having done both ways I'd say from underneath. Disconnect the prop shaft from the gearbox, undo the gearbox mounting brackets and the 6 bolts on the subframe and then the whole lots comes down in one go. Obviously make sure your hoist is nice and secure around the engine first though so you can lower it gently. Splitting the box from the engine and lifting out the top you'll get stuck by the bolts on the top of the gearbox bell housing that sit right against the bulkhead or if lifting it all out in one go you'll still need considerable clearance underneath to allow the box to swing down and then lift out so you may as well drop it IMO.

Also, leave the starter motor in place and then remove it once you can see it properly. Otherwise you WILL break the knock sensor removing the top starter motor bolt. Its highly likely the knock sensor will break anyway as they are so fragile after all the heat cycles they go through, I broke one with the bolt from the starter and the other just snapped off in my hand as I pressed the clip down on the multi plug attached to it after I got the whole engine and box out. Best place to order a replacement is CFL Honda in Florida as it'll be about £70 including fedex delivery and taxes etc other wise add about another £100 if you buy it from Honda UK.

HTH
Old 09-07-2012, 01:36 AM

Great info lads , have an engine hoist but not a ramp , anymore good advise on this job,,,,,
Old 09-07-2012, 01:40 AM

Just take your time and have lots of cups of tea.

If something won't budge, take a break rather than doing what I do and getting frustrated and angry!!

If it take you a couple of days to remove it, but you do it in one piece, job is a full on guddun
Old 09-10-2012, 01:50 AM

Might put off the head first , may it a little easier and lighter
Old 09-10-2012, 12:26 PM

Leave the head on, if possible remove both manifolds,altanator, starter, air con pump.all the bits that are going to get in your way.... And all the hoses.i found take the weight on the lift, remove the engine mounts, slacken the gearbox mount off, lower the engine down onto the subframe. That way you can get at the awkward top bolts, don't forget to slide out the clutch fork. Once you have the weight of the engine on the lift there is a lever slot in the middle bottom of the engine/box joint you can get a pry bar in and start to split it using that.it may be worth removing the Rad so the wayward swinging engine doesn't damage it.Also you may find that you need to remove the front bumper so you can get the lift point far enough back fo a central lif.... Even when it's fully extended.finally as you lift jus keep checking around to make sure nothing is snagged on the engine when lifting.Remove as many sensors as you can because with the engine weight it's easy to crush one and some are quite expensive...... Good luck, be carfull and be safe when you are doing it...... So no lying underneath checking the sump when it's on the lift

Quick Reply: Engine removal