UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Engine rebuild / refresh

Old 10-15-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rebuild / refresh

Hi Guys,

I've been contemplating giving the engine in my S a refresh over the winter, its always used a little oil and lets out the odd puff of blue smoke every now and then but that was something I read as being pretty normal in the older cars and its probably been made more noticeable with the addition of the supercharger.

What i'd like is some basic info on the costs involved in a rebuild, pro's / cons etc and also whether it would be more cost effective to buy a low mileage engine out of another car and use that instead.

I could do most of the work myself either rebuild or swap wise so those costs don't need to be factored in but I would need a rough idea of the parts involved, re-honing costs etc.

Has anyone here got any experience with this?

Thanks
Nick
Old 10-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Banned

i looked into the costs of this when my JDM unit died, unfortunately mine had crank and bore damage so not worth doing, but rebuilding a working engine would obviously be ok,

the cost all depends if you go for genuine parts or go for aftermarket, i was looking at aftermarket so acl bearings, arp bolts, up-rated oil and water pumps, up-rated head gasket, top end valve kits inc valve stem seals,

ACL Bearings:
ACL Bearings big end £89.80 Mains £78.80 + £5 p&p
ACL thrust washers £14.75 + 3.75p&p

ARP Bolts
Head bolts £94 + p&p
Rod Botls £55 + p&p

Oil pump £ depends on how much flow or if not changine rev limit prob advise to use a genuine or OEM Replacement
Water Pump £ As above
Head Gasket = depends on your choice and if your looking to change compression ration or not?
Piston rings = struggling to find aftermarket ones at the time but oem are ok if keeping stock rev limit,

machining/extra costs to take into account,
bore honing
crank re-grind/ balancing
valve seat fitting
service items = oil & oil filter, spark plugs, gearbox oil (not needed as can remove box with oil in but might aswell)
New timing chain & TCT

i personally would also fit a lightened flywheel and new clutch at the same time

thats all i can think of from the top of my head but might have missed a couple of things.

Rob
Old 10-15-2011, 05:46 PM

I'd factor in new rods too.

I reckon on valves being ok and no need to regrind the crank if it isn;t damaged.