UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Engine Rebuild

Old 09-15-2014, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers for all the help guys. JD modified I will give you a call in the morning and have a chat and maybe take you up on that cuppa.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:45 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Funtimefrankie
I don't know why people on here tend to try and scare people into not rebuilding these engines over here?!?
It's not a question of scaring anyone, more a reporting of facts that many rebuilds over here have ended in tears and greater expense.

Still, if people have figured to how to do successful rebuilds, that's great news, especially as my engine is on 130k now.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:08 AM

^ The nice thing about a rebuild is you should have some warranty on it I guess and also its basically like starting again with 0 miles on the clock.

If you buy a used engine its a roll of the dice how long it will last and what sort of condition its in, although it is the cheapest and quickest way to get back up and running..
Old 09-16-2014, 01:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdmodified
You are correct, there are plenty of potential problems with rebuilding these engines however we have taken on the challenge and reaping the rewards with lots being sold to the kit car community right across Europe.
Have any of them gone into S2000s and done 70,000 miles (which is what I've done on my replacement engine)?
Old 09-17-2014, 02:16 PM

Just finished a rebuild on my F20c had it on the dyno today made 250bhp 175 foot pounds of torque on a Dynodynamics

Engine spec
Dry slieved block
Cp 12.5-1 pistons standard 87mm bore
Skunk2 rods
Acl bearings
Honda head gasket
No head mods standard cams etc
OBX ITB's
Omex 600 Ecu
Struggled with high intake temps today due to not having a airbox for the ITB's a lot more left in it but went conservative with the map till I get the airbox made.
I got the dry liners done in the uk it's well worth building the engines you don't know what your buying with a second hand engine
Old 09-17-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good work fella
Old 09-17-2014, 03:18 PM

I've done 3 myself. In my spare room. 2 sold. One with a mate. In my spare room. Got one that needs doing actually just keeping a spare the pain is the crank. They don't like to be reground.

You could also prevent anything going wrong with the bottom end by doing it in the bay. Head off sump off and replace rings and bearings. I always ponder should I do it just to have peace of mind over a weekend.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:53 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by zebidi
I've done 3 myself. In my spare room. 2 sold. One with a mate. In my spare room. Got one that needs doing actually just keeping a spare the pain is the crank. They don't like to be reground.

You could also prevent anything going wrong with the bottom end by doing it in the bay. Head off sump off and replace rings and bearings. I always ponder should I do it just to have peace of mind over a weekend.
Probably not (yet) a big enough sample space, but that info is useful.

I have also heard that one must be careful when re-honing bores and follow the Honda destruction manual to the letter.

Presuming one measures the journals incredibly accurately, a 'light' rebuild should theoretically be possible.

But anecdotal evidence would suggest things aren't always done like that. Or scored cranks are re-used...
Old 09-18-2014, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by zebidi

I would NEVER contemplate removing any material from a OEM Crank.. If the crank is damaged in anyway bite the bullet and get a new one or a very good condition 2nd hand one.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:26 AM

Received 134 Likes on 115 Posts

Ha listen to all this rebuild theory.

You'll never run the same factory tolerances, incredulously accurate is what's required. Younger 2nd hand low miler engines are the way

There'll always be a plug for rebuilds. They don't normally end up that well - it's engine bingo for a F20C. Why not start a poll - "would you buy one".

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild