UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Engine Rebuild

Old 09-15-2014, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rebuild

Can anyone recommend a place to get and engine rebuilt or diagnosed as I had the side electrode from a spark plug snap and my engine has developed a rattle. I'm based in Reading Berkshire. Cheers
Old 09-15-2014, 02:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Close to TGM fleet aint you?
Old 09-15-2014, 02:12 AM

Could give JD modified a call mate;

http://www.jdmodified.com/

I was down a few weeks ago and James (the owner) was talking about a range of options for rebuilding S2k lumps/will be able to diagnose it and are just down the road.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:53 AM

Awesome, I'm close to these and mines just gone pop too.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:00 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

A little research (using the search function) will reveal that engine rebuilds are very difficult on the F20C - you are probably best off sourcing a second hand engine.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:18 AM

You are correct, there are plenty of potential problems with rebuilding these engines however we have taken on the challenge and reaping the rewards with lots being sold to the kit car community right across Europe. I could talk to you guys for hours about it, but I much prefer you come drink a coffee with us and I'll give you the tour.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Banned

Bump for TGM in Fleet
Old 09-15-2014, 09:23 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmodified
You are correct, there are plenty of potential problems with rebuilding these engines however we have taken on the challenge and reaping the rewards with lots being sold to the kit car community right across Europe. I could talk to you guys for hours about it, but I much prefer you come drink a coffee with us and I'll give you the tour.
Awesome, thanks for taking up the challenge! I'm not in need of an engine at the moment but I'd like to think if the rings were on their way out they could be replaced rather than making a coffee table out of the block.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmodified

Glad to hear someone is able to do it properly.
Some details of you're success stories would be welcomed by many on the forum (and probably good for business), as were not all close enough to nip down for a cuppa.
Go on, we all love a good rebuild story................"Gentlemen we can rebuild it, we have the technology, we have the capability to make the worlds first bionic F20c". Not sure how many of you will be of a certain age to appreciate that slightly altered quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:01 PM

I rebuilt mine with friends and local machine shop.

Re- sleeved the block with Darton sleeves, CP 10:01 compression pistons, bc rods and full Supertech valve train. Been running 485hp with no issues for 4k now. Less oil consumption now then when I was NA!

I don't know why people on here tend to try and scare people into not rebuilding these engines over here?!? We have some of the best engineers in the world. Everyone told me that I should of got my block sleeved in the states but I saved loads doing it here and was much more involved with the build process.

Check my build thread out for the rebuild info and photos.

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild