UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Engine Noise

Old 04-10-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by P 1
The attachments below are recordings of my 2009 engine when cold and when warm after a gentle run.

When warm there is a distinct metallic rattle at low revs - 2,000 and just over.

My dealer has been unable & unwilling to offer any advice.

The car has only covered 2,700 miles from new.

Any advice and/or suggestions as to the source of this noise would be welcome, particularly from those who have direct experience of the 2009 engine noise issues. Does this sound like previous 09 engines with "issues"? My engine number is very close (within about 60) to those that have had problems.

[attachment=494:Engine Cold.mp3]
[attachment=495:Engine Warm.mp3]
HI P1, Just read your email and heard your engine recording. Mine was much the same, no noise when the engine was cold and exactly the same sound when it was warm. Honda replaced the block twice. It didn't work! they then replaced the head. This worked for a while but then the noise came back again. This time it's much less pronounced and I'm waiting to see if it gets any worse. Lately, the noise seems to have reduced quite a bit but I'm not sure it'll stay that way. Basically, I think they either don't know what the cause is or don't have a fix for it. As the car is out of production I think they have no incentive to try and find a fix or redesign the offending component. I'm still within warranty so I might wait a bit before deciding what my next move is going to be. I want to get a long drive in over summer and see if it gets worse. Will keep you posted and feel free to get in touch again. Your delaer sounds terrible by the way. At least mine (Chiswick Honda) tried to work with Honda UK on my behalf.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:58 PM
P 1

Thanks everyone for the help in response to my post and my various PMs

Your info s2kstar is very useful

I will be getting back to my dealer again (last visit was autumn last year before the car was laid up for winter) and if they don't offer any better help, I'll be following this up via another dealer and Honda UK.

I didn't in fact buy this car from this dealer - it came from another one just as the last of the new stock was disappearing out of the showrooms and I had to travel to get an 09 in the colour I wanted. No excuse for lack of helpfulness on my usual dealer's part though. They've had enough of my money over the 20+ years I've been buying and servicing cars there

I'm not the sort of person to go screaming murder, but I'm persistent and will get this sorted one way or another
Old 04-10-2011, 02:39 PM

Hi Gary,

As I said on the phone to you earlier I am sorry to hear of your S woes. Hope you get some help on resolving this from a Dealer. Keep us updated on how you get on.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:55 PM
P 1

Thanks Rob
I have a plan now, drawn from all the very helpful comments and advice here and from your advice and the other contact I have had in response to this
I will keep you updated
Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My engine number is very close (within about 60) to those that have.

Where did you get the info about "which numbers are affected"?And if you dont mind,what are the engine numbers that are affected? Thanks
Old 04-10-2011, 10:56 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Out of interest, does it make that noise in gear? Does it change with the clutch in or out? Stupid question .... but has the oil level been checked and have you had the valve clearances checked?

It sounds bloody awful on the warm clip.

Thinking back, that's what Bokkies sounded like when it first started to go, almost sounded like exhaust rasp or a blown exhaust gasket - it didn't sound anywhere near as loud as yours does though and yet Bristol Honda & Johnsons in Milton Keynes diagnosed it as terminal and basically said don't drive it.

Funnily enough, hers is still not quite right, this time it sounds like throw out bearing or clutch noise .....
Old 04-11-2011, 05:41 AM

Not much help on the dealer issue

But I would say steer clear of ANY Lightcliffe Honda franchise (previously Lookers Honda)

The Southport branch in particular is absolutely useless

Never had any work done by them which was right first time including basic servicing

Best of luck with the engine issue, hope it gets resolved quickly
Old 04-11-2011, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this clip from under the bonnet or in the car?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:50 PM
P 1

Originally Posted by mr-pitts
My engine number is very close (within about 60) to those that have.
Where did you get the info about "which numbers are affected"?And if you dont mind,what are the engine numbers that are affected? Thanks
From here.

Originally Posted by unclefester
Out of interest, does it make that noise in gear? Does it change with the clutch in or out? Stupid question .... but has the oil level been checked and have you had the valve clearances checked?
Yes - just the same when on the throttle in gear.

No change clutch in or out - the recording was done parked up in the garage in neutral.

Oil level checked & OK

The technician at the dealer suggested this at first but we both felt that it didn't sound like a valve clearance issue. If this needs to be the first step towards a resolution I will get this done however.

Originally Posted by phil121081
is this clip from under the bonnet or in the car?
Recording was done in my garage with the sound recorder on the floor beside the car below the offside side indicator / badges.

Thanks GREGSTERWIZ for the dealer info
Old 04-14-2011, 02:52 AM

Had a good listen to my car again today

Is the noise which is causing concerning the faint tinny rattle/ vibration noise which can be heard on P1's second recording ?

Or can this noise be linked to the TCT ?

P1, you have PM

Quick Reply: Engine Noise