UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Engine Noise

Old 04-10-2011, 04:48 AM
P 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Noise

The attachments below are recordings of my 2009 engine when cold and when warm after a gentle run.

When warm there is a distinct metallic rattle at low revs - 2,000 and just over.

My dealer has been unable & unwilling to offer any advice.

The car has only covered 2,700 miles from new.

Any advice and/or suggestions as to the source of this noise would be welcome, particularly from those who have direct experience of the 2009 engine noise issues. Does this sound like previous 09 engines with "issues"? My engine number is very close (within about 60) to those that have had problems.

[attachment=494:Engine Cold.mp3]
[attachment=495:Engine Warm.mp3]
Old 04-10-2011, 07:55 AM

I've got an 09 with 16k up and I've been listening carefully for rattles. Stories like the engine issue one on here make me paranoid.

But mine sounds nothing like yours! That warm engine sound is a shocker! How can the dealer take no action? What has been the reponse?

Time to take it up with them, repeatedly, until they sort it.

Does anyone know if anyone is in a position to reveal what the issue is with these engines?
Old 04-10-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by P 1
The attachments below are recordings of my 2009 engine when cold and when warm after a gentle run.

When warm there is a distinct metallic rattle at low revs - 2,000 and just over.

Any advice and/or suggestions as to the source of this noise would be welcome, particularly from those who have direct experience of the 2009 engine noise issues. Does this sound like previous 09 engines with "issues"? My engine number is very close (within about 60) to those that have had problems.

[attachment=494:Engine Cold.mp3]
[attachment=495:Engine Warm.mp3]

Sorry but that does not sound good. I would post your location then I'm sure another member in your area can recommend a good Honda dealer to take your car to who will identify the noise and put in a warranty claim with honda uk for you.. When mine was making a knocking noise (different to the noise yours is making) I gave it to the dealer(1st dealer I went to was crap so went to another who was excellent), they immediately said it's not right and I just left it with them until they fixed it. Mine required a new engine block which took honda 2 days to deliver and 3 to fit. They gave me a courtesy car and were generally superb.
Bottom line is as long as you've kept your servicing up to date then your car is under warranty and you've got no worries

Just to add that you really don't need to be able to identify the cause of the noise yourself, that's honda's job but if it helps, the suspected culprit of the 09 engine knocking noises is the bearings in the crankshaft.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't really tell much on my crappy laptop speakers with the cold file but the warm file does sound off. I did hear Gaspodes car before it went in for its engine change and that was a quite hi pitched rattle.

If you're not getting any luck from your normal dealer then get on the phone to Customer services at Honda UK and find another dealer that knows about the issue.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:15 AM

Hells Bells Gary !
I guess you won't be bringing your S to Sussex then ! That sounds bloody awful!
I'm with P800bry take it to another dealer asap or camp out at your dealers.
To support some of the above my usual dealer was crap here regarding even purchasing a warrenty. So I took it to another local dealer and they were all goodness and light and everything is sorted at far less cost than originally promised by my regular garage.
If you go anywhere in it make sure you have breakdown cover !

I can't fathom that your garage has been so crap, what do they think that is normal ?? What do they all drive - 80's skoda's ?

Ring around a few local dealers and see if they will help, or as suggested find another local garage via a recommendation from someone else on the forum.

Get YELL.com up NOW !

Good luck and keep us informed matey !
Old 04-10-2011, 09:18 AM
P 1

Thanks for the replies

Just to clarify, the engine sounds fine when cold, it's only when warm that the noise is there.

I'm located in Lancashire so any recommendations re. a dealer that is not likely to fob me off (as mine has done so far) would be appreciated. I'd like to have a knowledgeable / helpful dealer by my side if I'm to pursue a warranty claim.

I note that my noise is different from yours P800bry. I am aware though of some 09 engine noises being described as a metallic rattle, like mine, rather than a knocking noise. It may be that there are two separate issues, and if anyone knows of a rattle like mine having been diagnosed / fixed I'd be keen to know.

My last S2000, which I also had from new, never made a noise like this, so this is very noticeable to me. It's distinctly audible from within the car through reflected noise when driving alongside walls etc and it is not a noise I would expect to be there if there was not a fault somewhere.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:23 AM
P 1

Hi Vicki

I must admit I'm not happy at the thought of the mileage down to Herstmonceaux and back whilst the engine sounds like it does!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Banned

Tell our dealer, I am assuming you bought it from them, to sort it out or you will be calling trading standards. There is a known issue with 09 engines and they are doing nothing. I would be on the dealer principal's desk jumping up and down and screaming bloody murder till they pulled their finger out and did their damn job! It's not your job to find a dealer that actually wants to do their job, it's their's to take care of you.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:16 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by P 1

I find that to be totally disgusting, especially if they were happy to sell you the car.. Get something on email from them and complain to Honda UK stating you are well aware of 09 engine failures. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:19 AM

I'm with p800bry. If your dealer is unable to identify the noise with any confidence then a qualified dealership would be the preferred option for me. That way you will have the assurance that the job will be carried out with confidence.
That said, the fact they cannot identify the issue isn't your worry and Honda HQ would be keen to maintain good service care so a call would be appreciated I'm sure.

Quick Reply: Engine Noise