UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Engine light help......

Old 11-16-2010, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know tell me about it. the way my fuel is at the moment i should expect 350miles, but i will prob be lucky to get 300 out the remainder. Cheers for all your help and advice guys, much appreciated. The forum is a wealth of knowledge
Old 11-16-2010, 04:51 AM

Oh forgot to say, while i was waiting in the showroom they had a lot of nice cars.........in the back behind all the z4s i found this little beauty.......
i loved the wheels on it, cant really see them properly in the pic (iphone!!)

Old 11-16-2010, 04:54 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

I know on the CRX the fuel consuption went wild when the sensor went, not sure about the S as there are so many extra sensors to the equasion, but I guess it will have some effect, let us know.

Just happy for you that is was somthing small and under warranty.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ashdelsol7,Nov 16 2010, 02:11 PM
..im guessing that running the car for the next few days with the light on will mess up my fuel/air ratio?!
It will have absolutely NO EFFECT the S2000 is not that advanced.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by gt750boy,Nov 16 2010, 06:40 AM
It will have absolutely NO EFFECT the S2000 is not that advanced.

read the FAQ and found this half way through.......

The engine sensors mostly work on sending voltage outputs to the ECU, which allows it to determine things like how much fuel to put in, how much ignition timing to add or subtract, and to diagnose faults. Its an extremely complex device and never fails to amaze me!

Old 11-16-2010, 06:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=gt750boy,Nov 16 2010, 03:40 PM] It will have absolutely NO EFFECT the S2000 is not that advanced.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Nov 16 2010, 07:43 AM
Ignore this post.

Of course it will mess up your fuelling if the PRIMARY lamba is shot.
DONT drive it.
You risk buggering up the CAT - that won't be cheap.

Secondary O2 sensor is checking the CAT efficiency during test cycles.
Not such a big deal and you can get away with it.

ahh sh*t. I cant remember now whether it was primary or secondary he said to me. I will leave the car on my drive and steal mums car tonight then (she has got an slk but she should be fine with me borrowing hers for an evening).

Will bell the mechanic back to double check which sensor it was
Old 11-16-2010, 07:25 AM

just spoken to my man now, and it is the primary sensor. I told him that you knowledgable guys have told me about the problems that could arise, and he has confirmed that you are right and it could damage the cat. He said i will be fine getting the car home and try not to use it till its been fixed. he said that it might be adjusting it the other way and making the fuel too lean so i could be down on power.

He said the main cause is due to moisture in the exhaust from cold days, that is normally present within the first 5mins of a journey. In this time the moisture gets on the sensor and then as the exhaust heats up it cause the sensor to heat up and crack. he said it is a common known fault on the s2000, but he said that he will adjust the ecu so that it doesnt turn on the heat in the first 5mins or something, which rectififes the problem (hope i recalled that all correctly, i was trying to absorb all the info he was telling me!)

memo to self.......must listen when he explains problem first time

thanks again guys for all your advice/help, really is massively appreciated
Old 11-16-2010, 08:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

with M1bjr on his comment.

Lambda sensors (o2 sensors) generally fail lean as a failsafe so they inject more fuel to protect the engine (cooler/safer but leads to shit running, poor mpg etc). I guess they could fail (rich) thus inject less fuel thus run 'lean' but I've not heard of that before and TBH it would be pretty dangerous way of doing things.

Many cars run for years without any lambda problems (my dads old lexus 100k on original o2 sensor), its normal for moisture at first startup and cold days so we'd have a spate of problems if this was the case fecking up the lambda sensor.

The lambda sensor are only heated up for a short period of time (dont know about honda likely around 10 seconds or so), heating it up allows the car to go into closed loop quicker, thus reducing emissions&improving mpg much like when the airpump comes on at first start up to heat the CAT up quicker.

Interesting to see how he will 'adjust the ECU' to stop heating the lambda sensor up in the first 5 mins - ask him hows he going to do this, a reflash perhaps .

Seems like the dealer is talking some shit TBH.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:27 AM

right ok guys......car is all fixed.....

supposedly there is a problem with the primary o2 (lamba)sensor thing. Supposedly moisture in the exhaust gets on the sensor and causes it to crack. He said this is because in the first five mins (when the car is cold) the lamba sensor has a heater on it to warm it up (i dont know if this is built into the sensor?!?!)

honda are supposedly aware of the problem and my ecu has now been updated with a software update. This stops the heater coming on for the first five mins on the lamba thingy. Hope this is help to any of you guys out there..........cheers for everyones help/advice on this again

Quick Reply: Engine light help......