UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Engine light help......

Old 11-16-2010, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine light help......

on my daily commute to work this morning, was in slow moving traffic and suddenly noticed the engine block light on my car had come on.......panic stations, i had to drive 10 mins on the motorway to work (very gingerly).

The car is driving fine, no noises, no difference in power up to vtec (havent gone into vtec tho)

Have just phoned honda 2 mills because my dad is good mates with the head mechanic down there an i always take my cars to them, he said it could be nothing, he has told me to bring it in and they will stick the computer on it. He did say that i am the 4th since yesterday with the engine check light on the s2000

i have checked all the oil and everything, any ideas?! (please no one say jenson!!)

Old 11-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be many reasons from a very simple missfire (due to bad petrol) to something serious which i do not think cause like you said it sounds and drives properly. Do not panic. Just get it to Honda to read the code and you go on from there
Old 11-16-2010, 12:55 AM

It 'probably' is nothing serious. You just need the code. If two mills will do it for free then your laughing. Otherwise I have scangauge that will pull the code, i've used two mills so maybe you are local ish?

Gavin
Old 11-16-2010, 01:30 AM

yes i think 2mills should do it for free for me. My dad has bought a lot of cars off them for his company so i have always used them to service my cars as they give me a good rate, i spoke to the guy and he sadi just bring it down and he willl stick the computer on it to read it. Yes i am local.....irby. I work in ellesmere port so daily commute down the m53 everyday (26miles total). My friend who used to work in the chester honda dealership sourced the car for me brand new, so i know it has had a gentle upbringing

Where abouts are you gavin?

I always use shell v power, and always have done?! i am keeping my fingers crossed.....
Old 11-16-2010, 01:46 AM

When I first got my car, it had a CEL for the secondary O2 sensor. It can get gummed up early in its life in only used for very short trips. Yours has 13K on the clock so maybe not that but I still think the O2 sensor could be a contender.

I'm based in Chester close to wales but also use the M53 to come to Stanlow in Ellesmere Port so we work quite close. Anything I can do, give me a shout.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:53 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Ash if the light is solid on and not flashing, it won't kill the car. If it starts flashing don't drive it.

Regards petrol the S can run on ordenary unleaded, mine has to occasionally and it copes well without misfiring, the ECU just compensates for it. (was that V Power bought on the day of the 5p off offer ?)

Got myself one of these for peace of mind (and to play with).

http://www.crecorder.com/website/userLogin...ductInfo&page=1
Old 11-16-2010, 02:42 AM
Banned

As above. If the light is steady on it is probably nothing that important. READ THE FAQ!
Old 11-16-2010, 03:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this a 2009 car? I assume any issue would be diagnosed and rectified under warranty....
Old 11-16-2010, 04:11 AM

hey guys.......all good news.......gav you were correct o2 sensor on the exhaust, it is the one that is before the cat (dont know if that is the primary or secondary sensor). They said it was faulty and normally needs to be replaced on the older cars, but becasue it is 09 plate it is all covered on warranty. It is being ordered in for me and booked in for friday to be replaced and the ecu reset. It was a solid light not flashing.

Rich.....i cant remember if i filled up with the 5p off coupon but i think i did. I normally have to fill up once a week depending on mileage, and i always go to the same shell garage. I was on for a good week aswell.......181 miles with just under a half a tank to go.......im guessing that running the car for the next few days with the light on will mess up my fuel/air ratio?!
Old 11-16-2010, 04:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ashdelsol7,Nov 16 2010, 02:11 PM
181 miles with just under a half a tank to go
Bear in mind that this fuel gauge is hideously non linear

Glad it's something simple

Quick Reply: Engine light help......