UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Engine Lifespan MY99 - MY02

Old 08-02-2011, 02:25 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

What is probably a lot more accurate is that there are a load of garage queens out there that will rust to death long before they ever get to engine blowing time.

http://www.hondaorig...&block_03=19254

That's the components, the fact that they list bearings at all means they expect them to be changed at some point ....

Con rod bearings 6 off @ £25.08 each
Main rod bearings 12 off ( 6 upper and 6 lower) @ £24.64 each
Thrust washer 2 off@ £13.66

Total = £473.28 plus VAT.

That's UK Prices.

CFL Honda Prices ( USA)

Main rod bearings 12 off ( 6 upper and 6 lower) @ $9.82 each
Con rod bearings 6 off @ $7.12 each
Thrust washer2 off @ $5.45

Total = $171.46
Convert to £ = £105.38

In fact for that price, why not get 16 new valve guides as well for only £68.

Add some duty and VAT and it's still less than half of the cost of the UK price.

So .... those in the know, how many hours labour is this sort of thing to do, assuming you know what you are doing.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, let's put it this way. If this were the owners club website of a different car altogether, there would be a lot more horror stories

Feel a bit better now.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:04 AM

Just that if you do buy a new one, make sure it's not too new, especially not an 08/09
[color=#1C2837][size=4][font="Arial"]

08/09 are hardly new - these are still SECONDHAND (as well as possibly having another set of issues, although that has to be defined and proven and this is not the thread for that conversation).

Although rumours abound of a GT100 that was bought and immediately laid up thus having zero miles on it I think this would be the extreme rather than the norm. Regardless of the actual number of miles covered you do still have the "how has it been driven / cared for" quandry on any used car; even lets face it even on a demonstrator model.

Your maths for the remedial work is interesting and current potential longterm owners should consider it; but my point remains as others have commented on - you hear the bad not the good on forums such as these. Given the nature of the beast and the expected use I do not think the S is any worse or any better than other cars - apart from the smile factor, where it is extremely proficient. If I could keep mine I would but she is too nice to sit and rot on a driveway, so off she goes for someone else to enjoy.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:12 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I think the point is more that as ALL of the cars and engines age, unless you do the remedial maintenance as mileage increases, there is going to be a massive shortage of engines and that will just drive prices up further.

I'm on 75k now ... it's a 2nd hand car .... i'm not the original or even 2nd owner and I have NO idea how it was treated before I got it.

I'm off to speak to a few garages to see how much the labour is likely to be
Old 08-02-2011, 03:28 AM

Keep us posted, please Fester
Old 08-02-2011, 03:57 AM

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Lady B... the whole point to this thread as an ex-S2000 owner (when the W-reg was 3 years old, 2003) is purely to ask how these engines have aged. None of us are stupid enough to wear rose tinted spectacles and not expect any kind of cost for running the car as they age. I too (Bassocotpus) was an ATR owner, frequently (and still post like yourself) on the ATR site. The shortcomings of the Accord seemed to outweigh the package at times, despite its FWD abilities.
I asked a Teg owner at work who knows nothing about the F20 engines, he reckons it should last to quarter of a million miles... but why should it?
I appreciate abuse these engines put up with, some more than others, but its concerning when some have gone pop around 100k. What would make more sense, rather than worry people (as that wasnt meant to be the thread reason) are ways to look at engine wear, what the signs would be and some sort of engine inspection Sticky. Where you can take the head off, look for signs of wear, surely there's a resident techhie thats done this?
Like I said earlier, and Bassoctopus knows too, theres a fair few ATR's that have gone beyond 200k with no issues (if not slightly down on power though).

What I wanted to know was how risky it would be to buy a '99 with approx 100k, and if I could expect another 3-4 years out the engine, with hardly any power loss. Seems then the answer lies in oil lubrication and just a gamble to how its been used. I apologise if the thread has caused alarm it wasnt meant to.
But its a given question... its not just any regular car, it revs to 9k so wear should be questioned on the earlier models.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:03 AM

Hello Tony. Haven't been on AccordR for a while - too busy. Ours is in for it's MOT tomorrow - fingers crossed!

My S2k was a motorway hack for the first 60k miles of it's life, which as we know is very easy on the car compared to country road blats.

BTW My B18c teg engine was starting to sound pretty rough at 135k when I sold it but still pulled well. That car had had a hard life though. I think it was probably ready for new injectors/LFAs
Old 08-02-2011, 04:41 AM

I saw the 'Teg, red wasn't it? Quite a nice example IIRC and I was tempted...
I'm sure the ATR will breeze it through, unless your brake lines have corroded (seems to be a common one on the ATR)... good luck!
The S i'm looking for is going to be for the motorway predominantly, it won't be given a hard life at all... The wife is sold on it (which was the biggest hurdle believe me!)
Old 08-02-2011, 05:30 AM

Brake lines were done last year, as was timing belt, tensioner, water pump, clutch, discs and pads all round, camshaft end seal, gear selector seal, rocker cover and spark plug oil seals, headlamp leveller etc etc etc That car leaked oil of one type or another all over my drive for 6 months.

This time it's been pulled up with handbrake (hopefully not a new calliper) and the headlights are set a bit too high which is easily remedied.

The S2000 in comparison has been a breeze to own.

The Teg was a nice car but starting to feel it's age, and the engine needed some work. The amount it the interior leaked made me think it had seen some action at some point in it's life too. Fun car though, but not worth spending money on, as it would never be worth more than it went for really and wasn't a "keeper".

I sold it to a local dealer who was aware of it's shortcomings. I was never completely comfortable selling it to another enthusiast as it wasn't a car I was really happy with. I tended to put most people off from coming to see it if they were planning on travelling any distance.

Just go into the S2000 with your eyes open to the potential pitfalls and you should get a good one for a bargain price. I'd be more worried about suspension bushes than engines TBH
Old 08-02-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus
Brake lines were done last year, as was timing belt, tensioner, water pump, clutch, discs and pads all round, camshaft end seal, gear selector seal, rocker cover and spark plug oil seals, headlamp leveller etc etc etc That car leaked oil of one type or another all over my drive for 6 months.

This time it's been pulled up with handbrake (hopefully not a new calliper) and the headlights are set a bit too high which is easily remedied.

The S2000 in comparison has been a breeze to own.

The Teg was a nice car but starting to feel it's age, and the engine needed some work. The amount it the interior leaked made me think it had seen some action at some point in it's life too. Fun car though, but not worth spending money on, as it would never be worth more than it went for really and wasn't a "keeper".

I sold it to a local dealer who was aware of it's shortcomings. I was never completely comfortable selling it to another enthusiast as it wasn't a car I was really happy with. I tended to put most people off from coming to see it if they were planning on travelling any distance.

Just go into the S2000 with your eyes open to the potential pitfalls and you should get a good one for a bargain price. I'd be more worried about suspension bushes than engines TBH
plenty of lube... lol

Quick Reply: Engine Lifespan MY99 - MY02