UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

engine knocking noise PLEASE HELP!

Old 09-30-2012, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryB
The warranty company will wash their hands of it if "oil light" is mentioned I would think.
I'm guessing the bottom end has gone due to low oil, which is not unheard of, but usually happens on track to cars without a baffled sump.

It takes a lot to kill a Honda engine but low oil is the quickest method!
Old 09-30-2012, 01:29 PM

I would suggest posting a video to youtube and linking it to this thread
Old 09-30-2012, 01:37 PM

SHIT!!!!..... GUYS CANT BELIEVE IF WHAT YOUR SAYING I f@#kED MY ENGINE UP!!!!! i check it every week and have recently changed to mobil best 0w40 which is expensive but i was told and thought that as it was thinner it woudl get around the engine quciker when first started up!!!!

Have i honestly f@#ked it?????? i didnt know that it was a pressure light!!!! i thought it was an oil level light.... being ausual bloke and not reading the manual!!! whats normally the cost??? i am sooo screwed and upset that it looks like its my fault!!!!

i have been driving hard for about 20 miles ish with that light on and off due to me checking the level and filling it up to the correct level!!! not knowing its my own fault!!!! GOD thats going to be so expensive!!! how the hell am i gonna pay for that!!!

so sorry guys for going on about it and the swearing but cant beleive i have messed my own engine up!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2012, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by dunkS2K
SHIT!!!!..... GUYS CANT BELIEVE IF WHAT YOUR SAYING I f@#kED MY ENGINE UP!!!!! i check it every week and have recently changed to mobil best 0w40 which is expensive but i was told and thought that as it was thinner it woudl get around the engine quciker when first started up!!!!

Have i honestly f@#ked it?????? i didnt know that it was a pressure light!!!! i thought it was an oil level light.... being ausual bloke and not reading the manual!!! whats normally the cost??? i am sooo screwed and upset that it looks like its my fault!!!!

i have been driving hard for about 20 miles ish with that light on and off due to me checking the level and filling it up to the correct level!!! not knowing its my own fault!!!! GOD thats going to be so expensive!!! how the hell am i gonna pay for that!!!

so sorry guys for going on about it and the swearing but cant beleive i have messed my own engine up!!!!!!
just to update on some questions you have all asked.... drove car about 4 miles with this knocking noise!!!!! and had warning light on for probably a few days and have vonly used car for driving hard (if im honest)as i have a company car!!! put around 800ml of oil in which in some experts opinion is normal (but i dont know to be honest) probably done 20 miles maybe slightly more with the oil pressure light on and probably about 5 miles with it flicking!!! again been driven hard around country rods and local bypasses!!!! obviously i would not have done this if i had read and knew that it was an oild pressure light rather than an oil level light which i though it was!!!! i wouldnt have driven it!!!!!!the knocking noise sounds like metal hitting metal!.... to my mind the crank or pistons as they move up banging against something!!! i know not detailed but im not a mechanic!!! only a driving enthusiast who has saved up for 3 years to get one!!! feel so dumb and down that i have ruined it and it may cost hundreds maybe thousands to repair!!!!
Old 09-30-2012, 02:43 PM

There really is no point getting really upset about it until you know for sure. Get a video up and get it to a garage so it can be confirmed.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:24 PM

So you have put 800ml of engine oil and that has filled it on the dipstick? Your oil light is oil pressure, no toil level.

For this to come on, you are looking at an extremely low level, sub 10psi, and that is going to be bad at anything above tickover.

The thing is, for you to only put 800ml in is not a lot at all and unless you are lying, I think your oil pump may well have failed or on the way out.

Either way, knocking will certainly be a big end failure.

Sh1t news, but it'll be a new engine time.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:25 PM

When you put 800ml in it was that to get it onto the dipstick ?
Old 09-30-2012, 03:30 PM

The sump holds about 5.5 litres, the dipstick is about 1.2 litres from not on it to top.

Even if 800ml was enough to take you to bottom of dipstick, 3 litres is enough.

For that thing to have come on and stay on you'd be looking at sub 2 litres!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:32 PM

I asked the same question you did at the same time. I'm struggling to understand his posts too. Sounds like he just chucked 800ml as he thought the 'low oil ' light was on and didn't even check the dipstick
Old 09-30-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well regardless of what the level Is or was if the light has been on for 20 hard miles the engine is cattle trucked

What caused it will be hard to say without a tear down. As oil pumps don't have a tendency to fail on the S I'm thinking something else. My wild hypothesis is that sand from the newly powdercoated rocker cover has got into the engine. Blocking the pick up sieve thing or an oil gallery, leading to oil not getting to some of the moving parts or even all of them

Net result is the poor bugger is gunna have to get a new engine.

Quick Reply: engine knocking noise PLEASE HELP!