UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Engine knock

Old 03-13-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the valves adjusted on Friday, a few were loose a few tight. The engine did sound better for a a day or two but now is back to making the same noise above 2.2k rpm or so.

I'm not sure what to do. The gearbox is very loud especially in 3rd gear at high rpm, so I was going to get a new gearbox and clutch put in. The engine noise troubles me and I want to solve that before dropping more money into the car.

All of the easy options have been explored. There must be something wrong with the cylinder head. There doesn't seem to be a garage in the UK with the expertise to diagnose what the issue is.

See video: https://youtu.be/YVRDqrHCh3s?t=116
Old 10-21-2019, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this thread is very old and I may not get a reply. but it’s the old one I can find with videos the same engine grind from the head around 2-3500rpm.

if you get can you please can you let me know the out come as I’ve had a few mechanics look at it and can’t diagnose the sound.

please help if you can. Many thanks
Old 10-21-2019, 12:08 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

You checked the torque settings on the U shaped mounts under the rocker cover - cam tower brackets or whatever you call them.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepysnake
Nasty but not loud rattle (its not a knock) from the cylinder head at around 2200 rpm and above. Valves adjusted with a minor improvement then back to this.

https://youtu.be/YVRDqrHCh3s?t=116

Not sure what else in the cylinder head it could be. May have to look into getting it rebuilt, not sure where to start there.

Update 25th Feb:

Oil sump pulled off, bearings have no wear at all on them and the oil pan had no debris at all. Compression numbers were fine. Valve adjustment was carried out 6k miles ago with new chain tensioner, chain, cam sprockets and lost motion springs.

Nasty rattle still present when engine is above 2200 rpm, worse when getting on the move and can be heard in muted form when cruising along on part throttle. I wonder if it has something to do with the clutch or flywheel.

See this video: https://youtu.be/D4tKyMcupcc

The horrible rattle is obvious. I will carry on driving until something blows up but would appreciate any ideas.

Hi all,

I've owned my S2000 since early November and have covered around 5k miles since then.

I visited TGM today. What I always thought was a loose cat heatshield turns out to be a slight engine knock.

Old videos showing what is probably piston slap and what is not the problem:

Sitting in the car and displaying the knock (about 5 mins after start): https://youtu.be/33-JHUNGDvo

Fairly long cold start video: https://youtu.be/ROuCwIQdTTQ

The noise is obvious whenever you pull away and use more than 2k revs, though is mainly around the 2-3k rpm range. Once you're moving it can't really be heard, though this may be due to the road and intake noise covering it up! The engine seems happy to rev up up to 9000 rpm in 2nd and 3rd, letting off in 4th, which I have done so several times a week since owning the car.

Tom advised of the problem and suggested changing the oil, checking for swarf and continuing driving, monitoring the car to see if the noise gets any worse.

I'm not too sure if it was there when I got the car, but I definitely first noticed it sometime in mid November. I tend to drive the car fairly hard at least 3 or 4 days a week and the sound doesn't seem to have gotten any worse.

The previous owner had a "health check" carried out on the engine at a rally engine builder. The invoice states a new oil pump, timing chain, TCT, lost motions springs and big end bolts. This was 1k miles before I bought the car. I did consider not buying car due to the owner having just coughed up for the £2k invoice and was now selling up, but bought it anyway. I'm not too sure what significance this factor has on the knock.

I imagine a new engine will be on the cards eventually. The fact that I have driven it for so many miles and pushed the engine through the rev range often with this noise present does make me wonder how long it will last.

I suppose the knocking will eventually get louder, be present at across the RPM range and will soon blow a hole in the engine?

Does anyone else have experience of a long lasting engine knock?
did you find out what the original engine rattle was around 25-3500 rpm? I have the same issue and am stumped to what it is? I know yours then developed a knock, but the original noise yours is the only one I can find that’s the same as mine!
many thanks