UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Engine flooded...

Old 08-03-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remembered something, a friend of mine was driving behind me as i was being towed and he said he coud see water coming off the exhaust, also, the AA guy checked the oil gauge and it was white, i.e. no oil? Oh God, i should just stop thinking about this i think....
Old 08-03-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fingers crossed that the exhaust flooded and stalled the engine, rather than it being sucked through the intake side.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by WinFreak
What happened when you tried to start it again?

Am a bit worried about that because that would've meant after stalling you've still pumped water through... the engine will try and compress it and bang there's your banana rods
It refused to start after it stalled mate, and the front of the car was slightly out of the water by then.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did it not crank at all? or just crank round but not start?

If that's the case it could well be what Veehexx says...

Keep hope!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:09 PM

It did not crank at all i think, just a dry half second "PRR"
Old 08-03-2011, 01:12 PM

Can offer no advice but got my fingers crossed for you
Old 08-03-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by VIXNU
Just remembered something, a friend of mine was driving behind me as i was being towed and he said he coud see water coming off the exhaust, also, the AA guy checked the oil gauge and it was white, i.e. no oil? Oh God, i should just stop thinking about this i think....
you have white on the dipstick? Sounds like you got water in the oil as well then. Blimey...

Do you have a CAI and if not, was the stock air box wet? Or did you not get to check?
Old 08-03-2011, 01:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hopefully it may not be bad

I've told this story before, people don't believe when i say you can 100% hydrolock a motor running an AEM v2 intake or similar, you CAN - obviously you will need to submerge the filter but anything more than a cup full of water IMO you are likely to get hydrolock.

My mate was running a similar intake to an AEM V2 and basically he drove through a puddle that came half way up to the wheels, the filter obviously got submerged in water and he hydrolocked the motor.

If your unlucky and it happened at speed it could have bent the con rods or damaged the crank.

Now back to the story, i got a phone call off my mate one sunny saturday. He said basically he drove through a puddle slowly (which looked fine and not too deep) and the car just shuddered and stalled, at this point I said 'did you try and start it again', he said 'yes' FFS i thought!.

I turned up and pushed the car by the side of the road and inspected it, first thing is I yanked off the cai from the throttle body and opened the throttle body manually, shit loads of water came out. I knew at this point the oil would be contaminated and water would still be in the engine. I removed all the spark plugs and cranked the engine, immediately water shot out of the holes at such a rate that the pressure created holes in the under bonnet matting!, I did it until no more water came out.

We then went to halfords and we bought a 2 new oil filters, new spark plugs, and half decent oil. I changed all of this at the side of the road and started the car, the car started first time and a little bit of smoke came out of the exhaust for a mile or so then it cleared up, when he got home (which was 10 miles away), we changed the oil, and oil filter again as the oil had been contimated. After this it was fine and the oil was changed again in a month or so. This was 2 years ago and the car has been running fine ever since.

Hopefully you are lucky and get away with it.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by veehexx
fingers crossed that the exhaust flooded and stalled the engine, rather than it being sucked through the intake side.
Does this actually make any difference? It was my understanding that the engine can be flooded with water on vacuum through the exhaust when you lift off the throttle causing back pressure or through the hydrolock situation?

Years ago some friends and I went off roading. I was with friends in my dad's Mitsubishi Pajero and another friend was in his dad's Ford Explorer. Now I know Explorer's are sh*t anyway but a similar type of situation occurred.

We went what was called 'Wadi bashing' which is basically the Arabic term for driving through rivers and dried up river bed's in the mountains. My mate and I spotted an area where a Nissan Patrol had driven through and parked up near some rock pools so we started to follow suit. I went first and got through fine although the water did momentarily go up over the very front of the bonnet but I knew I had to keep my foot on the gas as this was the best bet to keep water from heading up through the exhaust and doing damage that way. Fortunately the car didn't suffer from hydro lock either and I parked up next to the Nissan Patrol fine.

However, this wasn't the same story for my friend. He followed suit after I had parked up but went further to the right in the river pool than I did and the whole front end disappeared into a much deeper section meaning the entire bonnet was covered in water as well as the front driver's and passenger footwell! The exhaust at that point was also submerged and the car stalled. Stupidly, as flooded as the car was he tried to start it again and I think this caused the most damage. I wasn't trying to say you were stupid to try and re-start the car just then by the way, just that the guy I went off roading with was a silly bugger at the best of times!

The end result for him was about £4,500 worth of damage to the car with 4 out of the 8 rods bent and a seriously p*ssed off dad!

Unfortunately due to the design of the engine bay on the S2000 I think that as soon as water comes over even just the nose of the bonnet its a good bet that its flooded the airbox as well, causing hydro lock. Fingers crossed for you that you haven't bent a rod or two but I would say it is likely to be new engine time; a real shame as I know you've not owned the car for long at all
Old 08-03-2011, 01:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it'll be the same as Irvatron's experience!

Nice new avatar by the way

Quick Reply: Engine flooded...