UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

engine bit the dust, advice please

Old 02-08-2015, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine bit the dust, advice please

So my engine got piston slap on 4th cylinder, plans was to pull the motor, reshell the bottom end and replace all pistons/rings.

Now I've heard there's problems with the bores being fibre reinforced metal liners.
I'd rather rehone and rebuild in an ideal world, but if the engine was making noise upon 'piston slap' the chances have it they'll need boring out, opinions??

Also is it true only certain pistons can be used with these liners?

I need to know, can new liners be put into these?? If so where from??

Also does anyone know any engine builders in the UK that have experience I can get some info from or possibly pay to build.

I'm a bike technician, and have built a fair few engines in my past but not one car one. And my knowledge upon frm liners is limited. Thanks for any advice or help in advance!
Old 02-08-2015, 05:29 AM

it is indeed possible to bore and hone the FRM, needs a machine shop with the correct stones (no pun intended). I can't remember the max overbore off the top of my head but if you search you will get all the info you need

Limited range of pistons that will work with them is true, Mahle seem to have a decent off the shelf item

Re-sleeving also possible and if I was rebuilding its probably the way I would go and use an AP2 crank and rods too. The extra stroke and some compression is welcome. The expense does increase though

best of luck
Old 02-08-2015, 05:45 AM

Thanks for the fast reply firstly!
Secondly my main goals is to get. Reliable as stock ap1 motor back in my baby

I think the overbore is 0.025 just have to get some pistons to suit
Old 02-08-2015, 08:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You got a new s2k? And it has engine problems?
Old 02-08-2015, 08:47 AM

It will be a lot cheaper to buy a secondhand engine.

The FRM liners can be bored as you said but the only oversized piston is .025mm over. General rule of thumb is if you can feel a mark in the bore with your nail it will need to be relined. You can get dry liners fairly cheaply and its a easyish job to have done. If all you want is stock power buy a secondhand engine. It will be half the price if you do the engine properly.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:52 AM

If you have piston slap, you are probably experiencing worn shells/big ends. It might be the case that your bores are fine.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
If you have piston slap, you are probably experiencing worn shells/big ends. It might be the case that your bores are fine.
Fingers crossed dude, I did all the usual dignosis then got fed up and pulled the motor. There's defiantly something wrong as there's a knocking noise.

I suppose I just need to wait til the middle of this week until I've stripped it,
Old 02-08-2015, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by mattie170
It will be a lot cheaper to buy a secondhand engine.

The FRM liners can be bored as you said but the only oversized piston is .025mm over. General rule of thumb is if you can feel a mark in the bore with your nail it will need to be relined. You can get dry liners fairly cheaply and its a easyish job to have done. If all you want is stock power buy a secondhand engine. It will be half the price if you do the engine properly.
Thanks for the advice dude. If that's the case then that's what I've gotta do, I'm struggling to see how it's going to cost more than 2k (average price of an 80k ap1 engine) to rebuild. Not trying to prove no one wrong I'm just exploring my options that's all.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:52 AM

Pistons alone are 5-600quid cheaper if you sleeve as they don't need to be special but sleeving will be 1000-1500 including the parts. S2000fun had a 2003 engine for sale with 40k something miles for 1500-1600.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:46 AM

I can't find this s2000fun member?? Is that his username??

Quick Reply: engine bit the dust, advice please