UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Engine bay cleaning

Old 11-11-2008, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tango Man,Nov 11 2008, 08:52 PM
You may get away with it but the person who you advise may not. It is not worth the risk
What do you mean get away with it?

If you take time to look under the bonnet of an S2000, you'll see that the engineers at Honda have spent a good portion of time protecting vital electric/electronics from the elements, especially splash/high velocity water.

Obviously, as I mentioned in my previous post, if you have no clue about engines (what is a fuse box?) or are worried then don't do it.

That advice can be offered to any situation - eg cleaning your car.

Someone may say 'I use a sponge and its great!'

So Joe Bloggs gets the Scotchbrited dish sponge out, and goes at his paintwork....

I am out there doing this and have been for years. I have the knowledge and EXPERIENCE to back up what I am talking about.

Whether someone chooses to follow my advice is up to them, but the fear people put into others when it comes to certain topics on this forum is wonderous!

Examples:

Your Cusco copy braces will snap - They haven't
Your eBay HID kit will catch on fire/short out your electrics - They haven't (and I even blasted the ballasts for a full 30 seconds with the pressure washer to see if they'd fail - nope)
Your non OEM honda oil filter will come off - It didn't
Running your CAI in the wing will Hydrolock your engine without a cover - No Hydrolock here
Pressure washing your engine will break it - Damn, dunno what has been moving my car for the past few thousand miles.

To borrow FluffyNinja's Sig: Knowledge without mileage =

So next time you think about injecting some negativity, either back it up with detailed evidence about what was the reason and how it happened. Or, rephrase your wording so as it's more specific to your knowledge/experiences (eg Personally, I wouldn't use a pressure washer because I have heard of a couple of incidents, from mechanics, where the engines have not started afterwards...)
Old 11-11-2008, 12:47 PM

cheers again.

didnt mean to cause any beef between anyone, but i did ask for what everyone uses/does so all your comments are welcomed.

thanks again, i'll have to stick with a hose to get the muck out....i dont have a pressure washer lol.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Xd

I have had an engine get damaged due to being cleaned by pressure washer and evidence of this in the engineers report. The electronics were covered. I think that is enough evidence to put me in position of experience thank you. This I accepted responsibility for and paid for the repairs. They guy is still a regular customer of mine and no he does not own an S2000 just a fleet of 4x4's

Sorry Dave but this comes up regularly and in my professional experience I would not use a pressure washer on an engine.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldnt use a pressure washer just my opinion, id rather do things by hand and take my time with a brush and cleaning products.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Nov 11 2008, 05:37 PM
on Autoglym

Spray and brush on and use a normal hose to clean. Cover the battery and fuse boxes and don't be tempted to use a pressure washer to clean off - just normal hose pressure should be fine.

Before (and with unpainted rad mounts)

After (with removed rad mounts being primed for painting)
A nice looking stock engine bay there Neil

How do you remove the rad mounts? was it easy?, i guess you rubbed them down primed then painted?

Mine too have rusted slightly
Old 11-11-2008, 10:31 PM

One bolt and they just lift off, then I cleaned them down with a wire brush and painted on a couple of layers of Hammerite.

These pictures are from 4 years ago, but it all looks exactly the same now.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GrittyShaker,Nov 11 2008, 02:42 PM
Need to do mine at some point soon, after driving 150 miles with the oil cap left off.

Amazing that someone stupid enough to do that is willing to attempt so many DIY maintenance jobs under no supervision.
Don't feel too bad mate, my car was delivered to me by a Honda dealer in the same state. It appears the guy who PDi'd the car was on his last weeks otice and didn't give a flying fook any more! Nice clean shiny post dealer car with an engine bay full of oil.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by davekelly,Nov 11 2008, 08:12 PM
lol i know what you mean, i took my wheels off my focus a few years ago and forgot to tighten them.

'daddddd whys my car shaking and making a funny noise' lol
I did that a few months ago too.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by PaulF,Nov 12 2008, 08:30 AM
Don't feel too bad mate, my car was delivered to me by a Honda dealer in the same state. It appears the guy who PDi'd the car was on his last weeks otice and didn't give a flying fook any more! Nice clean shiny post dealer car with an engine bay full of oil.
It's easily done I suppose. It's one of those really simple jobs that you can do with your eyes closed, so you get complacent with it. Won't be doing it again.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Nov 12 2008, 08:31 AM
One bolt and they just lift off, then I cleaned them down with a wire brush and painted on a couple of layers of Hammerite.

These pictures are from 4 years ago, but it all looks exactly the same now.

Thanks Neil

Quick Reply: Engine bay cleaning