UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Engine bay cleaning

Old 11-11-2008, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Nov 11 2008, 08:37 AM
on Autoglym

Spray and brush on and use a normal hose to clean. Cover the battery and fuse boxes and don't be tempted to use a pressure washer to clean off - just normal hose pressure should be fine.

...... and when it's dry spray it with Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Spray - comes up a treat.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Xd

Be very careful when cleaning an engine, under no circumstances should you use a pressure washer and please cover all electrical bits. Any mechanic will tell you a dirty engine bay is a protected one, you start removing grease you are exposing parts. On the other hand we want our cars to look there best so; Use any quality degreaser sprayed lightly, rub in using a dish brush then allow to sit for about ten mins. Rinse off thoroughly using a watering can then dry using a towel. If there is still grease repeat above, when finally cleaned and dry cover liberally with a dressing compound.
My preferred choice is Meguiars APC then dressed with Meguiars Hyper Dressing. I have used this combination on over 30 cars and it has kept its longevity very well.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I use Gunk, jetwash whilst engine running. No issues
Old 11-11-2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tango Man,Nov 11 2008, 05:32 PM
Be very careful when cleaning an engine, under no circumstances should you use a pressure washer and please cover all electrical bits. Any mechanic will tell you a dirty engine bay is a protected one, you start removing grease you are exposing parts.

Use a pressure washer. It really does remove all the crap/dirt that is sitting in your bay. If you are an idiot and want to point one at the fuse box for a couple of minutes, perhaps you shouldn't use one!

I have been cleaning engine bays with pressure washers for years and NOTHING has ever gone wrong.

Now, the trick to preventing corrosion is easy - silicon spray or a tyre tresser (I use Turtle Wax Wet'n'Black).

This is a transparent lubricant that you liberally apply to your cleaned engine. Once done, use some kitchen roll or other strong disposeable rag to mop up the excess.

What you get is a brilliant film that protects your engine from all sorts of crap, including corrosion

and then you get this:
Old 11-11-2008, 11:08 AM

cheers for all the help guys. god cant believe those two pics are from 2000 cars they look new.

so im ok in putting loads of water in the engine bay. i cant get my hands down far enough to get rid of the leaves.

the new car idea is good, but i'll save that for a few years when i have enough money to fix a breaking down tuscan

thanks again thats all a great help ill be busy at the weekend
Old 11-11-2008, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by GrittyShaker,Nov 11 2008, 02:42 PM
Need to do mine at some point soon, after driving 150 miles with the oil cap left off.

Amazing that someone stupid enough to do that is willing to attempt so many DIY maintenance jobs under no supervision.
lol i know what you mean, i took my wheels off my focus a few years ago and forgot to tighten them.

'daddddd whys my car shaking and making a funny noise' lol
Old 11-11-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 253 Likes on 218 Posts

I use a product from autosmart supplies called g101, it ha sloads of cleaning uses, diluted 50-1 it makes 5litres go along way, then engine running pressure wash clean avoiding prolonged spray towards electrical components, I always leave the engine running until it all dries out. then a silicon underbody spray to make it all sparkle.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Xd

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,Nov 11 2008, 06:24 PM

Use a pressure washer. It really does remove all the crap/dirt that is sitting in your bay.
It really pi$$es me off when people give out dangerous advice like that. Trust me I have seen an engine damaged by a pressure washer and I can point you in the direction of two full time mechanics who would tell you to stay well away from using one on an engine bay. You may get away with it but the person who you advise may not. It is not worth the risk
Old 11-11-2008, 12:12 PM

Received 253 Likes on 218 Posts

The Op asked what do others do, I stated what I do and I'm by no means perfect but I find this the best method for me. Of course there are pressure washers and PRESSURE washers, and no-one is suggesting that the water is sprayed anywhere near the air intake since this would be very bad.
Not looking to start an arguement btw.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:29 PM

I'm a Gunk fan, my engine bay came up gleaming after using it recently. Give it a try

Quick Reply: Engine bay cleaning