UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Early Morning blat

Old 11-16-2008, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early Morning blat

Sorry, I know we've done this thread recently.

Decided to get up early this morning and go up into the Lake District along some of the great roads I know, thinking that at 7am it would be free of morons. WRONG!

Came accross a moron in some kind of MPV type thing; I kept well back as I always do (I hate fools who drive right on my bumper and make a point of not doing this); There came a point where there was a very long stretch of wide road, nothing coming the other way so I drop a couple of cogs, indicate and put my foot down. Moron in front decides right at this moment to overtake a white car in front of him and accelerates, pulls out with no indication right into my path.

I had to brake and gestured with my hands with a shrug, not anything offensive, just a shrug as if to say 'What are you doing man?' In reply I get the 2 finger salute. He then slows down and pootles past the white car, once past he refuses to pull accross back onto the correct side, when he does I am faced with a car headed straight towards me and have to give it the full beans in order to get past him and in safely.

TWAT! He could have killed me.

I spent the next 20 miles rolling along the road at a ridiculously slow speed with said dickhead behind, just to frustrate him; when he tried to overtake I'd just match his speed till he had to pull back in again behind me. Really dumb of me tbh but I felt I wanted some payback; I was feckin fuming and considered pulling up accross both lanes and getting out to have 'a word' with this prick.

Then a bit further; I have a similar deal

Another MPV who when I'm some ways off is driving as should be on his side of the road, clearly this side of the white line. I approach and suddenly he's in the middle of the road driving down the white lines. I m generally a safe driver on public roads and so think he's doing this to indicate to me that it isnt safe to pass so I hang back.

Several miles later and it's aparent that this fool just doesnt want to be overtaken even though he's doing 40 in a national speed limit by this point. Out of bloody mindedness I pass him anyway even though there's only just room to do so due to him being in the centre of the road. ARSEHOLE!

Similar thing again later on with a white Mazda 323F.

I've had enough by now, drive ruined; So I do a U-Turn and just go home.

Is it the car that provokes this? I seem to be getting this sort of thing all the time since buying the S and it's not what I expected.

I imagine in a Scoob or Evo with large wing etc that the fool would just get out of the way; I also imagine the same if you were driving a Ferarri or Lambo; but the S seems to provoke a 'That's just an MX5 and you arent worthy to pass me' reaction, even though as we all know the car is more than capable of embarrasing a lot of expensive metal.

Oh well, so much for my fun Sunday morning blat
Old 11-16-2008, 02:25 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

No, it's what I can only describe as sanctimonious old c
Old 11-16-2008, 02:27 AM

was going to write something but then deleted it and then wrote it again, then deleted so all i will say is this

maybe you were both in the wrong at one point.......

i have seen to many accidents with people over take behind another car and the car in front sees the oncoming car and the one behind does not..

the other way at looking at it, there is always someone else driving faster and more crazy than you the other way
Old 11-16-2008, 02:29 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

People used to pull well over when they saw the Evo hurtling towards them.

However i've had a few people go nuts for overtaking them, and get out the car for a ruck at traffic lights, and I don't think that would have happened in the S. Twats.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:30 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDogmeat,Nov 16 2008, 11:15 AM
I spent the next 20 miles rolling along the road at a ridiculously slow speed with said dickhead behind, just to frustrate him; when he tried to overtake I'd just match his speed till he had to pull back in again behind me. Really dumb of me tbh but I felt I wanted some payback; I was feckin fuming and considered pulling up accross both lanes and getting out to have 'a word' with this prick.
Why exact some sort of "revenge"? Simply disappear off up the road in a whirl of
exhaust, vtec and brake dust?

I always try not to let some twatty driving make me drive in a similar fashion, not always easy but it makes for more fun in the end.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:38 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

PS They hate it when you laugh at them!
Old 11-16-2008, 02:49 AM

Yep, you are all right fellas; I should have just ignored it but the red mist decended with the first one, who was actually a young lad.

If I'd known he was going to do what he did I woulnt have followed him past the white car, but you are right, I should have slid back and slotted in behind the white car.

I'll try and brush such things off in the future as you suggest.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:58 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only time I have ever done anything like this with with a truck in France.
I overtook him sensibly at a sensible speed with no danger to anybody, ok I may have had to go 15 kph over the limit to get by, but he then proceeds to flash me like crazy and give me an ear full of his exceeding large air horn.

A little later as we were approaching a piece of road where 2 lanes filtered into one, I took this as a good opportunity to slow down as he had requested and forced him down from around 50 kph to around 5 kph, before flooring it and leaving him well and truly in the distance.

Served the sanctimonious tw@t right.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Where abouts did you go mate?, I'm from the lake district.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:20 AM

I didnt get there AJ

I ended up turning off the A65 at Ingleton and set off back home via a Dales loop that I know past White Scar caves to Ribblehead; then Hawes, Aysgarth, Thoralby, B6160, B6265, A65, A629 back towards Keighley then over the hill towards Halifax.

Quick Reply: Early Morning blat