UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Dyno results

Old 02-03-2010, 03:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Firstly a dyno is a tool, its not going to be 100% define 100% accurate?. You have a different dyno type 'interia' and 'retarder' all with their different methods of getting results.

I wrote a thread on the differences a while back. Servicing, temp, extraction, fan size/distance all play a part which is why you shouldnt compare different dyno's to dyno's. 2 runs or so are not enough.

The temp and pressure can reveal highier/lower readings.

The most important thing to do is a before and after on the sameday if possible therefore the parameters are the same on the same dyno.

^ Which i tried to do to the best of my abilities.

1. Correct
2. Correct you missed out extraction and dyno type
3. No completely true - i have evidence of that, though its hard to see the gains if any on an intake for the reasons above though you can slightly, you have the bonnet open too.
4. As above best to do a dyno stock on the same day your adding mods, besides most manufactures dyno the engine via a bench test etc.

Also i can feel the increases 100% sure and have printout yeilding gains ranging from 8bhp low down till near vtec, to 28BHP right at the top with 20's in midrange crank figures though . Will it be faster than a stock S by a small amount yes but not earth shattering but the combo of that and losing weight is nice.

I have done tests (hills, shitty gtech etc - which are not scientific but ) which I'm not going to go into on a public forum and also runs in seconds on a dyno.

Also if staying N/A you must get a standalone ECU or at least a piggyback to get the best gains.

A 'theoretical' site for you (though this is based on perfect scenarios but give you an idea so dont read into too much)

http://www.letstorquebhp.com/calculator.asp

Bit of fun at the end of the day.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:30 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The dyno debate has been done to death on various forums over the years.

I used to get involved but have given up

One thing whihc I think should be a rule on here, and all sites, it to ban any mention of calcualted flyweel horsepower.

Using power at the wheels, or hubs takes out a lot of inaccuracy.

The key to using a dyno to check if your mods have given you an increase is to always use the same one, and preferably do the mods on the same day.

I will also only use Dyno Dynamics.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Feb 3 2010, 12:33 PM
I think the best way to test he effect of modifications would be to hire an airfield for a day, get some data logging equipment and do some acceleration runs from, say, 20mph to 100mph. 20mph wou be used to avoid clutch damage and remove the randomness of getaways.

That would sort it all out.
We should do this.
I have the Racelogic box and a couple of Gopro cams for any of you to play with.
It will auto calculate any acceleration/decelleration ranges you want dead simply, press of a button
Even a 1foot rollout like drag strips.

The RLPB will also estimate BHP with an in gear run. I have yet to test it.
But assuming you enter car weight correctly and run on a dead level surface it would be very accurate.
You can do a roll down test too to correct the answer and estimate flywheel bhp but I wouldnt think thats so good
Old 02-03-2010, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MB,Feb 3 2010, 12:30 PM
One thing whihc I think should be a rule on here, and all sites, it to ban any mention of calcualted flyweel horsepower.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Feb 3 2010, 01:39 PM
We should do this.
I have the Racelogic box and a couple of Gopro cams for any of you to play with.
It will auto calculate any acceleration/decelleration ranges you want dead simply, press of a button
Even a 1foot rollout like drag strips.

The RLPB will also estimate BHP with an in gear run. I have yet to test it.
But assuming you enter car weight correctly and run on a dead level surface it would be very accurate.
You can do a roll down test too to correct the answer and estimate flywheel bhp but I wouldnt think thats so good

I tried to get onto a local airfield (with my gtech) but the feckers wouldnt let me even if i offered to pay

That nob Malcom Wilson only uses it.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are lies, damn lies, and rolling road printouts....