UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Dyno info request

Old 05-18-2009, 03:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,May 18 2009, 03:20 AM
p.s thats bloody amazing for the civic 230K and hasnt lost any power!

edit: seen it has mods, what mods does it have.
Yeah, i'm impressed with the car too. Although every component is taking turns to fail, the engine just does not seem to want to give up.

Mods that affect the power are drop in air filter, and full exhaust system (from manifold onwards).
Old 05-18-2009, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by NineBolts,May 18 2009, 03:29 AM
It's a good starting point for your basleine but only if accept that if you took it back and dyno'd it again without any changes on the same dyno might not give the same results.

Did you get a plot with the AFR on it?
Yup, that's my intention. Just treat it as a baseline. They are just 5 minutes away from my place, so they are easily accesible, rather than travelling a long distance to to better known garage.

Unfortunately, there's no AFR plot, just monitoring.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by eSeM,May 18 2009, 03:35 AM
Funny how the drivetrain losses work out at 38% for *both* cars .....

I would take those figures with a big pinch of salt.

is 38% drivetrain loss a lot? what's the usual?

Nah, i'm not someone who preach on bhp figures. More concern about the overall health of the car.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by plastic91,May 18 2009, 12:36 PM
Yeah, they did have a big fan and had the bonnet openned... weather was relatively cool in notts area recently due to constant rain for the past week......

They didn't have the AFR graph, but they did monitor it. All he said was it is slightly rich. On the same topic, how does the AFR actually looks like? So what if it is slightly rich or lean? Will it affect the power significantly?

I would love to think that it is just simple earthing problem, but the car came with those thick aftermarket cosmetic earthing kit.

Oh well, maybe i'll just ask the mechanics to have a check when i next do my MOT.
You want the AFR ratio graph, they should have monitored it with a wideband o2.

It will just be a line like your torque etc, ranging from 11.X to 14.X though it probably wont reach either end of the extremes.

Richer is safer (cooler) but yeilds less power and highier consumption, leaner is hotter and not as safe but yields more power to a certain extent though there is a balance for the two in a ratio,IIRC lower down the S runs in the 12's, later ECU leaned this out (people say thier later models seem perkier this is why).

They say around 12.7-13 N/A is a good figure but it depends on the car really with turbos etc being in the 11's. My feeling is you do yeild power on the S leaning it out but nothing massive TBH, personally id prefer running a little bit rich for longetivity of the engine.

Cars run rich for this reason and emmisions etc.

Looks like someone tried to solve the earthing problem and didnt fix it, is it not just the cluster?

Just bear in mind alot of dyno's read differently at the end of the day , just stick with the same one if its resonable for a baseline
Old 05-18-2009, 08:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Alright shawn. Went to show the dyno readout for mine to my mechanic, he dug out the info from mine when I got it mapped and the figures today were almost identical to the last one, it showed only around a 20% transmission loss for mine (being FWD) so the figures look quite reliable. Shame I couldn't bring my S down to compare against your readings but maybe another time. I think if we do it againi would prob try somewhere else that comes reccommended as I wasn't too impressed with garage as they seemed very reluctant to give advice or possible solutions to your either of our problems.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by eSeM,May 18 2009, 12:35 PM
Funny how the drivetrain losses work out at 38% for *both* cars .....

I would take those figures with a big pinch of salt.

38% is also way too high!
Should have got an AFR log as well.
No idea on the "electrical fault"
Old 05-18-2009, 09:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pay the extra for dyno dynamics or TDI, they both seem to be very good.

I use my mates dyno and its well setup, serviced and has all the extraction, wideband sensor and an adequate fan.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by ninjadave,May 18 2009, 08:27 AM
Alright shawn. Went to show the dyno readout for mine to my mechanic, he dug out the info from mine when I got it mapped and the figures today were almost identical to the last one, it showed only around a 20% transmission loss for mine (being FWD) so the figures look quite reliable. Shame I couldn't bring my S down to compare against your readings but maybe another time. I think if we do it againi would prob try somewhere else that comes reccommended as I wasn't too impressed with garage as they seemed very reluctant to give advice or possible solutions to your either of our problems.
Yeah, they weren't very helpful. Chose them just only because they were relatively close to my place and price seem reasonble.

Oh well, don't think my next power run will be anytime soon, since nothing is planned for my cars anyway.