UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Dyno info request

Old 05-17-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine were done in 5th
Old 05-17-2009, 11:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBolts,May 17 2009, 11:11 PM
mine were done in 5th
Old 05-18-2009, 01:31 AM

Just came back from my power run session, and can't say i'm totally happy with the result.

My 230k miles/17 year old civic turns out to be healtier than my 45kmiles/10 year old S2000. Apparently, there's some electrical fault with my S , and it's running slightly rich. The dyno operater told me that the voltage wasn't stable during acceleration, and the interior/dashboard light started by flikering, and then increased in intensity as it accelerated. He was saying this is the main reason i'm down on power.

Any views on this problem?

Anyway, here are the dyno graphs for both my cars. Both cars are done in the 4th gear.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes down on power, and no idea about the electrical fault

however you could get different results if u were to go to a dyno next door just say, as it depends hows the guy strapped the cars down, so thats why sometimes dyno's dont always give people happy results, also heat etc all have bearings on it

S2000 can actually be dyno'd without strapping them down but no one likes that
Old 05-18-2009, 01:44 AM

TBH, i'm not too concern about the actual figures, as like you said, a lot of parameter plays a part in the result.

What i'm not happy is that they have identified that there's the electrical problem which is affecting the power. Also, the torque plot is not as flat/consistent as my civic.

Speaking about strapping the car down, it just strike my mind that they actually did it by having someone sat in the boot.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:11 AM

230 @ fly isnt too bad at all really, 166WHP is low but by my reckoning (roug calculation) that should be around 180 odd WHP, as it make me think he hasnt put in the right parameters or the calculation is off.

Did they have a big fan at the nose, bonnet open, was it a hot or humid day? etc etc

The torque/power curves look 'about' right really well the shape of all of them (doesnt really look odd), i cant remember but i think there is more of a jump @ vtec in torque and bhp. The torque plots usually like taking an 'S' character and stretch it out by the tips (left and right at same time stretching).

To put into context most S's dyno @ the wheel around 180-190. Though I'd take more notice of the figures at the wheel.

The stock S does run rich depends how rich? have you got a AFR graph?

I dont really see how an electrical problem would effect power unless its effecting components like lamda, MAP etc etc but doubt it, sounds like you have an earth problem to me.

It could be a low reading dyno, but what is the correct reading dyno? judging by that civic it doesnt look too bad.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:20 AM

p.s thats bloody amazing for the civic 230K and hasnt lost any power!

edit: seen it has mods, what mods does it have.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:29 AM

As mentioned above and in other posts there are too many variables to do much more than just get a snapshot of your cars performance at that time.

It's a good starting point for your basleine but only if accept that if you took it back and dyno'd it again without any changes on the same dyno might not give the same results.

Did you get a plot with the AFR on it?
Old 05-18-2009, 03:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Funny how the drivetrain losses work out at 38% for *both* cars .....

I would take those figures with a big pinch of salt.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,May 18 2009, 03:11 AM
Did they have a big fan at the nose, bonnet open, was it a hot or humid day? etc etc

The stock S does run rich depends how rich? have you got a AFR graph?

I dont really see how an electrical problem would effect power unless its effecting components like lamda, MAP etc etc but doubt it, sounds like you have an earth problem to me.
Yeah, they did have a big fan and had the bonnet openned... weather was relatively cool in notts area recently due to constant rain for the past week......

They didn't have the AFR graph, but they did monitor it. All he said was it is slightly rich. On the same topic, how does the AFR actually looks like? So what if it is slightly rich or lean? Will it affect the power significantly?

I would love to think that it is just simple earthing problem, but the car came with those thick aftermarket cosmetic earthing kit.

Oh well, maybe i'll just ask the mechanics to have a check when i next do my MOT.

Quick Reply: Dyno info request