UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Dyno day

Old 12-15-2008, 06:07 AM
eho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=NineBolts,Dec 15 2008, 02:54 PM]Eho
Spoon Bits (Snorkel, Head Gasket, Throttle Body?
Old 12-15-2008, 06:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eho,Dec 15 2008, 03:07 PM
Yep I got the Spoon 70mm throttle body and also Spoon Air Filter.

Other bits is not really power related, such as EBC pad/disk, Goodridge braded hose, pretty much the full Cusco catalogue, rad cap, magnetic drain bolts, earth wires, oil catch tank, progressive springs and socks
spoon

Aren't you also running a Japanese import? so more power!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:19 AM

Eho's is a UK car, but it has a spoon head gasket, hence higher compression I think
Old 12-15-2008, 08:34 AM
eho

The Spoon Head Gasket is thinner than the OEM one. Spoon.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good results guys, I like dyno threads

Dynodynamics meant to be the most accurate of dynos'?

Look how mugen tuned cars power doesnt dip off at the end of the rev range like the other cars, must of cost a bomb though
Old 12-15-2008, 10:02 AM

I am very happy with the result, I had concerns about the Air Fuel ratio, as some members to include MB had suggested in the past that running the Mugen N1 ECU was not a good idea due to it disabling the knock sensor. If you look at the A/F ratio graph it can clearly show that my car is the most stable with the line nearly straight. Adding breathing mods has made Eho's car run on the lean side, where as according to Mase mine is spot on.

The main purpose for me was to check that my car is running well and is safe for peace of mind. Peak power was 196.5WHP if you are interested which would put the fly hp at around 260-265hp I guess. I got the mods at a relatively good price, the yen has now gone up 20% so therefore I might even get my money back if I were to sell them

A bling picture of Mase at work

Old 12-15-2008, 10:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Sti Vi,Dec 15 2008, 08:02 PM] I am very happy with the result, I had concerns about the Air Fuel ratio, as some members to include MB
Old 12-15-2008, 10:12 AM

She sounds very good especially if you are behind or following me

I am not sure about the fly hp anyway it is irrelevant, what the Dyno doesnt show is how much better and responsive the car is to drive now. I can only say it feels more like a race car and is far more responsive than when using the stock ECU, when in Vtec it is like driving a completely different car. As you have mentioned changing breathing mods does effect the A/F ratio, and I am sure there are many on here who have just changed the exhaust and or intake only and would be running on the lean side. The car only runs on VPower and had a full tank before the Dyno run
Old 12-15-2008, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,Dec 15 2008, 07:06 PM
Must sound nice as well
not as nice as mine, although I think I've dislodged an ear drum.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:40 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,Dec 15 2008, 06:40 PM
Dynodynamics meant to be the most accurate of dynos'?

Look how mugen tuned cars power doesnt dip off at the end of the rev range like the other cars, must of cost a bomb though
Yes, if setup correctly and with supporting cooling etc. They are a very good RR, but you see some which aren't used or set up correctly. Cars like the S need a lot of cooling and airflow to simulate road conditions, as they seem to get rather hot.

I've seen mine drop 3 bhp per run on one DD just from the ignition timing backing off due to heat.

WRC tech used to have a really good setup with massive extraction. They wrote an interesting article on how not all Dyno Dynamics are the same

Back to the results here though...

The standard S runs really rich right at the last 500 or so RPM - this is really clear on the Power / AFR chart. See how all the cars apart from STiv's really dip in power at 8400? Also see how the AFR drops (fuel rich) Rich mixture is good (to a point) for safety but saps power. I have always said that there is room to lean that part out and create some extra power, this is what's happening with the Mugen ECU.

I had this done on my Unichip, hence I got quite a healthy power hike

Clive, that's quite a lean spot you have on VTEC change, probably not too unsafe, but it's heading towards being a little lean. I bet you can feel a nice VTEC transition though This will be due to all your breathing mods.

The car in the green is a bit too lean all the way through for my liking... Its running pretty much stoich from 5-7k. Could benefit from mapping, especially at the top end where it goes really rich.

Quick Reply: Dyno day