UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Driving technique

Old 03-27-2006, 12:38 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by eandc2003,Mar 26 2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks, for a very good explanation sounds like quite a tricky technique to master
focking sight easier than playing the drums!
Old 03-27-2006, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only correct thing to do is whatever you feel most comfortable with so long as it adequately performs for you on the road.

I seldom heel and toe on the road since there are not tkat many times where I'm approaching a bend so fast that I need to, I prefer to match my gear to my speed and slow using the engine's natural braking.

I think some people are confusing dragging the clutch and using the gears to brake the car with allowing the car toslow naturally. What I dowhen I'm approaching a corner on the road is to lift off, change down if necessary, match the revs then if necessary change down again, repeating as often as necessary to be in the correct gear to accellerate out of the corner, only using the brakes where necessary. This is during day-to-day driving in traffic, not pressing on or on the track. I find engine braking mostly sufficient for most of the relaxed day-to-day driving I do.

On track I use H&T exclusively since I'm braking late and hard and often going down several gears at once, having raced a 500Kg RWD car, you learn to H&T pretty quickly or you lock the rear wheels. I use it occasionally in the Lotus on the road, but only really when pressing on, most of the time I find I'm approaching bends at the correct speed and have no need to brake much, so H&T is not required.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tango Man,Mar 26 2006, 09:08 PM
Whats the point of ABS if you are using the engine to brake?
ABS is primarily aimed at steering whilst braking.

Doesn't engine braking mean something along the lines of "being in a gear that feels too high for the speed at which you are travelling" and not "changing gear to slow the car"? Is this what you mean Mark?

I did the latter a couple of times at the recent Bedford Track day by mistake. Nearly ended up off the track.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Moggy,Mar 27 2006, 01:05 PM
Doesn't engine braking mean something along the lines of "being in a gear that feels too high for the speed at which you are travelling" and not "changing gear to slow the car"?
Engine braking is simply the effect of lifting off the throttle (in any gear) and allowing the engine to slow the car. The effect will clearly be more pronounced in a lower gear than in a higher gear ...

Automatics on the other hand, due to the nature of their transmission, have no engine braking at all. That's why you always see Merc drivers coming up behind slowing traffic and jamming the anchors on, whilst the rest of us just lift off and allow the car to slow "naturally".

I always get caught out when I drive the old man's automatic Volvo S70 2.5 Turbo. It's got a fair amount of poke, but when you lift off, it doesn't slow down at all and if you've come from a manual, it's a wierd sensation. Inevitably I have to keep dabbing the brakes until I adjust to the lack of engine braking.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by MarkB,Mar 27 2006, 11:23 AM

I think some people are confusing dragging the clutch and using the gears to brake the car with allowing the car toslow naturally. What I dowhen I'm approaching a corner on the road is to lift off, change down if necessary, match the revs then if necessary change down again, repeating as often as necessary to be in the correct gear to accellerate out of the corner, only using the brakes where necessary. This is during day-to-day driving in traffic, not pressing on or on the track. I find engine braking mostly sufficient for most of the relaxed day-to-day driving I do.

Exactly my technique - it seems so logical.

With regard to auto gearboxes, Sylvia's Civic Coupe (which I drive most days) is an automatic. Driving technique is obviously very different. Foot off accelerator as soon as the sixth car in front starts slowing/braking then allow the deccelerating overun to slow you down to the point where the traffic stream either takes off again (when you add more gas) or comes to a complete stop (when you then brake).

Old 03-28-2006, 07:48 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I tend to use the gears to decelerate in a slushbox:

Whiff of throttle to smooth the downchange, then use the stick/button.

Stops that 'running away with you' sensation.

Also helps if you wanna squirt into a gap.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:32 AM

I must admit I've found this whole topic really interesting.

I started using relative H&T about six months ago more to try it out rather than anything else.

I use the word 'relative' as having tried ball and full heel, I find it easier to use the side of my foot to blip. This is down to the fact I use my car for work and find heel and toe too dangerous in work shoes!

I find the technique alot of fun but tend to drive this way most of the time now out of habit.

Two problems I have found since driving this way: -

1) Fuel economy - noticeably worse with heel and toe

2) Lateral movement of brake pedal - due to my altered technique, the brake pedal is pushed more on the right side and now carries a slight wobble.

Anyone had similar problems?
Old 03-29-2006, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Mar 26 2006, 03:09 PM
Legs are stronger than arms, after all.
Not with my sex life
Old 03-29-2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Shiskine,Mar 27 2006, 04:06 PM
Automatics on the other hand, due to the nature of their transmission, have no engine braking at all. That's why you always see Merc drivers coming up behind slowing traffic and jamming the anchors on, whilst the rest of us just lift off and allow the car to slow "naturally".
Not true in some cars I'm afraid. In my 740, the 'intelligent' gearbox does provide engine braking, especially when going downhill. It senses when on a gradient and when lifting off, it goes down the gears to provide some engine braking. Unlike cheapo autoboxes, it doesnt always try to get into the highest gear possible all the time, it's more clever than that. It adapts to your driving style too. When 'making progress' and flooring it, if you lift off at 4k rpm it doesn't change up immeditately, it holds the gear which is just waht you want, esp if going round a corner where you just want it to hold the revs and gears.