UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Driving technique

Old 03-25-2006, 01:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Mar 25 2006, 06:12 PM
I double-declutch when H&T.
I just want to make sure I understand you ...

Are you saying you have two stabs at the clutch - one whilst coming out of gear into neutral, and another when changing down to the new gear - in your S?

If you're heeling and toeing, you're rev matching anyway so why two pumps of the clutch?

I can only think some people think blipping the throttle on downshifts is the same thing as double declutching. The latter I only associate with pre-war lorry drivers ...
Old 03-25-2006, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blip on the road and H&T in track/airfield. I never double declutch
Old 03-25-2006, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only use engine braking when trying to match speed for corners, as has already been said, keeping the revs in the appropriate band.

When braking 'properly' (as opposed to briefly in flowing driving) approaching junctions/traffic/etc., I use brakes only, keeping it in-gear then changing gear late. In these circumstances, I'm pretty sure I know WHEN I need to be in-gear, so why stress the engine and clutch? (And the clutch is more $$$ to replace than brake pads/discs).

So I use both depending on circumstances - everyday driving I do what that instructor told you and use brakes only, on a 'fun' drive or on open roads, I use both as it keeps your options open and avoids excessive weight transfer.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Shiskine,Mar 25 2006, 10:41 PM
If you're heeling and toeing, you're rev matching anyway so why two pumps of the clutch?
If you blip with the clutch in, you've got the engine up to the right speed but the gearbox shafts are still spinning away at the wrong speed. If you blip in neutral, then you get both the engine and gearbox up to speed so engaging the gear is smoother. But with a syncromesh you don't have to do that, although by using DDC you probably do save a bit of gearbox and clutch wear over regular H&T, but who really cares about that?

Of course if you were really good you'd change gear without the clutch at all and save your left foot for the brake pedal.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:47 AM

My head is hurting trying to follow all this and relate it to what I do on the road.

I'm pretty sure I don't use engine braking specifically to slow down, but by staying in one gear for say a succession of tightly packed twisties rather than changing up in between and then back down, (which the long rev range allows you to do in the S) I am effectively using engine braking to shave off speed on the approach to corners while not having to use the brakes (which will unsettle the front/rear balance more) and avoiding a time consuming gear change (which may also upset the balance slightly). Having my foot constantly on the throttle allows me to vary tune the balance and maintain control.

Otherwise, I don't use the engine to brake specifically although blipping the throttle (mainly for fun) on the way down will mean I use less brake to slow - never been able to H&T and don't have time to learn.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dembo,Mar 26 2006, 09:59 AM
If you blip with the clutch in, you've got the engine up to the right speed but the gearbox shafts are still spinning away at the wrong speed. If you blip in neutral, then you get both the engine and gearbox up to speed so engaging the gear is smoother.
Sorry but this makes no sense. If you blip the throttle when the clutch is engaged the idea IS to bring the engine speed to match the rotational speed of the shafts. Hence when you release the clutch the two joining faces will do so smoothly and engage with little wear. Doing it in neutral or when the clutch is depressed is the same thing as the drive shaft is disconnected from the engine.

I no longer use engine braking intentionally all that much for road driving, used to use it many years ago in regular driving, but I find the brakes are better for balancing the car and cheaper to replace. However the engine braking of an S is much higher than other cars and on country roads if I leave the car in 3rd gear it will automatically slow the car down when I take my foot off the gas and then applying the brakes with H&T does a good job to accelerate out of bends in 2nd of 1st.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:31 AM

It's all about balance and using appropriate techiques for the conditions given to you. Generally brakes to slow down is best, however in some instances (going down a steep bendy hill) engine braking is useful as it maintains car stability whereas a little stab on the brakes may upset that stability etc.

Ah, and BTW, the s2000 is NOT a lightweight sports car. granted it's not heavy, but it still weighs about 200/300kg more than it could do. Put it this way, it's 200 kg more than a TVR, 350kg more than a lotus elise, and over 600kg more than my westie!!!
Old 03-26-2006, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by rahula,Mar 26 2006, 11:18 AM
Sorry but this makes no sense. If you blip the throttle when the clutch is engaged the idea IS to bring the engine speed to match the rotational speed of the shafts. Hence when you release the clutch the two joining faces will do so smoothly and engage with little wear. Doing it in neutral or when the clutch is depressed is the same thing as the drive shaft is disconnected from the engine.
There's an extra bit you're not taking into account. Basically it goes:

Wheels ----- gearbox ---- clutch ----- engine

If you blip in neutral, the shaft on the clutch side of the gearbox is up to speed to allow the gear to be selected easily. If you blip with the clutch in, then that shaft is still spinning at the wrong speed and you need the synchro to be able to select the gear to allow for the two shafts spinning at different speeds. That's why you need to double declutch on sad old gearboxes.

Old 03-26-2006, 06:09 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Sad old gearboxes, my arse!

The changes in most cars are buggered up by those synchro ring things they put there for people that cannot rev match. They make clutchless changes harder. They should make slushboxes compulsory instead.

I do DDC H&T, when I'm not going clutchless, but then I tend to change gear with one/two fingers. Legs are stronger than arms, after all.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:08 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I HT when im on it - bit pointless when your're not, apart from practice!

Helps the backend from locking up too as said.

MB

Quick Reply: Driving technique