UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Driving Styles in the Wet
I wouldn't know, my S stays in the garage when it rains.
5.19%
I was overtaken by Miss Daisy yesterday.
16.88%
Pretty much the same, but with more care
66.23%
VTEC is sooo much more fun in the wet!
3.90%
Sideways mostly!
5.19%
2.60%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Driving Styles in the Wet

Old 06-23-2004, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first got the S I drove like a granny in the wet due to its reputation, but I have gradually (and my driving course gave me a lot of confidence in this respect) speeded up a lot.

I find the SO2s fine if you keep things as smooth as possible. Any sudden direction changes/throttle movements are out the window when wet, but that doesn't mean you can't drive at say 8/10s of dry speed generally.

The only exception is overtaking - this has all the ingredients for in the wet - sharp pulling out and in while flooring the throttle or braking hard + added entertainment of having hlf the car on the slippy white line.
I am much less likely to bother with an overtake if it is damp or wet.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:11 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GSi
Old 06-23-2004, 05:24 AM
GSi

Is that why they call it Aqua-Plane-ing?

Old 06-23-2004, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by EddandSam
Just sensibly here I think in the answer!!

If am I going to Vtec I do it in a straight line and feed it in slowly rather than just flooring it!

Definately wait until I am in a straight line when exiting Islands and turning before accelerating.

I guess GENTLE is the buzz word !!

Standing water on the motorway is a problem I usually slow down grip the steering wheel and pray!!!

Saying that I have still had the odd "moment" but it has usually been my own fault!

Edd
I definitely alter my style in the wet to be much more sensitive with my inputs and hold flat accelleration through the apex and progressive afterwards when straightening. I am by no means slow but am a lot more careful. Any FWD astra giving it some could pass me on a roundabout (see my thread a couple of months ago )
In terms of standing water, I'm not a big fan but my take on it is when you hit it do absolutely nothing, in fact concentrate of keeping the car exactly the same as when you hit it i.e. stay unmoved on the throttle perhaps with the tiniest bit lift, keep the steering wheel in the same position. In other words the car should be in a neutral state when you come out of it. I think the problem comes when a driver reacts during the aquaplane and after when the car suddenly gains grip the wheels are pointing in a funny direction and the balance of the car is upset because the driver may have also lifted sharply off the throttle.
When it is tanking it down with rain and there are giant streams on the motorway I will have no qualms about driving at 50mph, the only problem is that you need to be in the inside lane sloshing around in the lorry tracks
Strangely I do enjoy driving when it is wet as it makes you think more about what you are doing to the car and the effect of your inputs.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:33 AM
GSi

If you're looking where you're going you can decellerate or lift of prior to the standing water which is nice..
Old 06-23-2004, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by GSi
If you're looking where you're going you can decellerate or lift of prior to the standing water which is nice..
True, or you could drop a gear, power up and turn the steering wheel to guarrantee a full on fishtale in the VTEC zone
Old 06-23-2004, 07:30 AM

I thought the slip diff thingy thing, was to help in the wet!i find it helps when looking out the side window!
Old 06-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Y'ever read this:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=85766

?
Old 06-24-2004, 12:56 AM
GSi

Must be nearly time for that thread to get stickied again Ian
Old 06-24-2004, 01:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed - the nights are drawing in now.........

Quick Reply: Driving Styles in the Wet