UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Driving S2K in Europe?

Old 01-25-2012, 01:11 AM
SiT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving S2K in Europe?

Morning

Starting to get things together for a trip to the Nurburgring in April and just reading some advice on different sites about what to take etc.

One site talks about 'beam benders' and then goes onto say that cars equipped with xenon/hid lights often have a small screw adjuster which moves a shade over the light effectively 'bending the beam' do you guys know about this and how to go about it in the S?

Not really given xenon/hid lights much thought!?!

Si
Old 01-25-2012, 01:22 AM
UK Moderator

Received 305 Likes on 261 Posts

There are lots of useful thread on this, please use the search, instructions here if you're having problems.

https://www.s2ki.com/...mobile-version/

No need for the stickers on your headlights, just he usual Hi Vis jackets etc required depending which countries you are driving through. The AA/RAC have updated details of what you might need.

If you do want to adjust the headlights - instructions are in the service manual, which you can download here: Link

There's a Ring trip being planned too https://www.s2ki.com/...rburgring-trip/
Old 01-25-2012, 01:28 AM

Entertainingly, i asked my local Honda dealer, as the listed requirements were to have a replacement bulb, aswell as headlight adjustment.

They said (and i quote):

Just buy one of those fake headlight replacement packs, as the bulb isnt a single unit, you would have to carry 2 replacement units....not worth it at the cost.

Then they proceeded to put tape on the headlights for the 'adjustment', when they had finished, i pointed out they had put the tape on the wrong side of the bulbs!

Happy days!
Old 01-25-2012, 01:31 AM

This thread Driving Abroad has some useful information, but bear in mind some of the information may now be out of date as it was written for the Euromeet in 2009!
Old 01-25-2012, 02:16 AM
SiT

Originally Posted by lovegroova
There are lots of useful thread on this, please use the search, instructions here if you're having problems.

https://www.s2ki.com/...mobile-version/

No need for the stickers on your headlights, just he usual Hi Vis jackets etc required depending which countries you are driving through. The AA/RAC have updated details of what you might need.

If you do want to adjust the headlights - instructions are in the service manual, which you can download here: Link

There's a Ring trip being planned too https://www.s2ki.com/...rburgring-trip/
Apologies bud my bad, should have searched first but it was particularly with reference to the lights as oppose to general info on driving abroad.

Chees

Si
Old 01-25-2012, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Zebadee
Entertainingly, i asked my local Honda dealer, as the listed requirements were to have a replacement bulb, aswell as headlight adjustment.

They said (and i quote):

Just buy one of those fake headlight replacement packs, as the bulb isnt a single unit, you would have to carry 2 replacement units....not worth it at the cost.
Sounds familiar. We went to the South of France a couple of years ago in the S and I ended up borrowing the spare set of bulbs from one of our company hacks. The company car was a Civic so the bulb box had Honda plastered all over it.

Nobody checked what we were carrying at any point!
Old 01-25-2012, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I've still got a Halfords bulb kit in my secret compartment, that I bought about 10 years ago for a different car. No idea if any of them will fit the S (obviously not the headlights).
Old 01-25-2012, 06:26 AM

"No need for the stickers on your headlights"

No one seems to bother about these nowadays, (look at any cars boarding or departing ferries), and it is true that many new cars have a lever to enable you to switch from RH dipped beam to LH, so in that case they are not necessary.

However, I was warned some years ago that, if you are involved in an accident overseas, this is one of the first things the police check!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:42 AM

i went the end of march but it snowed and they didn't open the track
i had beam adjusters in the car but didn't fit them as i never drove at night.
hi vis jacket, spare bulbs for everything but headlights, gb badge, breakdown cover, also check your fully comp when abroad as i called to check my insurance and was told i was 3rd party as standard but paid extra to be fully comp, obviously not insured on the ring though.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:52 AM

"I had beam adjusters in the car but didn't fit them as i never drove at night".

What, no long tunnels? Also, bear in mind that dipped headlights, at all times, is compulsory in some countries! Admittedly you would be most unfortunate to be caught, but why take the risk for a couple of pounds?