UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Driveshaft spacers

Old 05-29-2013, 10:25 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Driveshaft spacers

Picked up a set of 1 piece driveshaft spacers yesterday, quickly made them two piece, and now my attention turns to the bolts that were supplied with the kit.

They may be of a suitable hardness, but they are threaded all the way along, with a minimal shank. They also measure 9.85mm at their widest point, and the bolt holes in the spacers themselves is 10.5mm.

I'm thinking of measuring the required shank length, and getting some high tensile bolts ordered. Do you reckon 10mm shank diameter, allow for expansion?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

M10 might be a bit of a tight fit but should be alright

The spacer will expand more than the bolt will so if you can get them in you'll be fine

Think it's clever replacing the bolts they supplied, I've seen enough cheapy chinese bolts just shear of like that
Old 05-30-2013, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trust me on this - get the tighter bolts as the imperial ones, even supplied by T1R, like to come loose.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:42 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

With out spacers, I replaced my standard rusty botls with 10mm 12.9 cap heads and aero lock nuts. On set screws the thread will always be very slightly under 10mm diameter its not a fitted bolt. If you want a bolt with a shank of 10mm that goes through both parts being fairly long and you will have to cut the end off.

These bolts are/should be availabe from your local fastener suppliers for a few pence each , just look up fasteners suppliers on google for your local area. There fairly bog standard.By the way Aero lock nuts are the ones with the cut through the nut on an angle and grip the bolt as you put it on a bit like a nylock nut but obviously not problem with heat etc. They do have other names which escape me at this moment
Old 05-30-2013, 02:37 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIPPO
With out spacers, I replaced my standard rusty botls with 10mm 12.9 cap heads and aero lock nuts. On set screws the thread will always be very slightly under 10mm diameter its not a fitted bolt. If you want a bolt with a shank of 10mm that goes through both parts being fairly long and you will have to cut the end off.

These bolts are/should be availabe from your local fastener suppliers for a few pence each , just look up fasteners suppliers on google for your local area. There fairly bog standard.By the way Aero lock nuts are the ones with the cut through the nut on an angle and grip the bolt as you put it on a bit like a nylock nut but obviously not problem with heat etc. They do have other names which escape me at this moment
Binx nuts
Old 05-31-2013, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHIPPO

Those nuts are the type teigwa supply with their spacer kit
Old 05-31-2013, 11:11 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Binx, never heard that one before , I am sure they are all just trade names , still remember the other name i have come across for these. I know the London Underground use and specify them. Had to retro fit about 400 once they called them Aero nuts and i know my current supplier knows the name

Being sad I just did a quick search , try , Aerotite, Binx, Aero, Phildas, Staytite etc etc all pretty much the same type all metal self locking nuts good for high temps, as used in the aircraft industry etc. The name i knew was Staytite.

All available from fastener suppliers much cheaper than silly car part suppliers etc.