UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Driver's door won't unlock

Old 08-11-2009, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's door won't unlock

Hello all. Just returned from a trip to the Alps and Nurburgring (trip report to follow).

During the trip an intermittent fault kept on happening with the driver's side door lock. The doors will lock correctly when the alarm is set using the fob. However, when the fob is used to deactivate the alarm it will not always unlock the drivers door. The key can then be used to open the door, but this only works sometimes. This involvles turning the key fully anticlockwise. Using the key like this only works when the key is fully turned anti-clockwise as the key will trigger the door to unlock only when the key cannot be turned any further. I presume that the mechanism is sticking or similar.

When it will not unlock with the key I have to reset the alarm and try again, often many times until the door can be opened. I had to do some Dukes of Hazard style acrobatics a few times.

Can anyone offer me any advice? or should I just spray the car orange and buy a bow and arrow?
Old 08-11-2009, 05:25 AM

Wasn't particularly cold was it?? I had that trouble last winter.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Vixen,Aug 11 2009, 05:25 AM
Wasn't particularly cold was it?? I had that trouble last winter.
No not really. Hot mostly with some rainy days.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:45 AM

Looks like you're spraying orange then

I'd have the door apart and be applying WD40 but I'm sure someone will be along to give a better solution
Old 08-11-2009, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Vixen,Aug 11 2009, 05:45 AM
Looks like you're spraying orange then

I'd have the door apart and be applying WD40 but I'm sure someone will be along to give a better solution
That was my next course of action but I thought I might see if anyone had experienced similar problems. Think I'll be using silicone grease though.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Try a new fob battery first.

My Prelude one will sometimes unlock the car, but not disable the immobiliser if the battery's weak, which is a tad embarrassing.

But in all likelihood, it's a dry lock mechanism.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by mat59,Aug 11 2009, 02:15 PM
Hello all. Just returned from a trip to the Alps and Nurburgring (trip report to follow).

During the trip an intermittent fault kept on happening with the driver's side door lock. The doors will lock correctly when the alarm is set using the fob. However, when the fob is used to deactivate the alarm it will not always unlock the drivers door. The key can then be used to open the door, but this only works sometimes. This involvles turning the key fully anticlockwise. Using the key like this only works when the key is fully turned anti-clockwise as the key will trigger the door to unlock only when the key cannot be turned any further. I presume that the mechanism is sticking or similar.

When it will not unlock with the key I have to reset the alarm and try again, often many times until the door can be opened. I had to do some Dukes of Hazard style acrobatics a few times.

Can anyone offer me any advice? or should I just spray the car orange and buy a bow and arrow?
The security system hasn't re-learned that its back in the UK and needs to prioritise the right hand door unlocking as opposed to being on the European roads where the left hand door locks would be prioritised.

You should make sure the car is parked on the correct side of the road in the direction of traffic flow, then lock and unlock the door 5 times to allow the security system to reset itself.

Alternatively you could get someone technical to check and lubricate the lock.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by FistralG,Aug 11 2009, 10:00 AM
The security system hasn't re-learned that its back in the UK and needs to prioritise the right hand door unlocking as opposed to being on the European roads where the left hand door locks would be prioritised.

You should make sure the car is parked on the correct side of the road in the direction of traffic flow, then lock and unlock the door 5 times to allow the security system to reset itself.

Alternatively you could get someone technical to check and lubricate the lock.
No, I think I'll try what you said first - seems logical.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem after removing the door trim to replace speakers.

There is a bar which goes from the lock to the lock tab near the door release and it was rubbing on the inside of the door card.
I sprayed silicone spray on the bar, the door trim and all the links - never had the problem again.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Shopman,Aug 11 2009, 12:24 PM
I had a similar problem after removing the door trim to replace speakers.

There is a bar which goes from the lock to the lock tab near the door release and it was rubbing on the inside of the door card.
I sprayed silicone spray on the bar, the door trim and all the links - never had the problem again.
Sounds promising, I removed the door card recently to investigate a faulty speaker also!

Quick Reply: Driver's door won't unlock