UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Drivers door won't lock

Old 05-16-2014, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers door won't lock

Tried the search but nothing quite like my problem.

My drivers door has stopped locking, with the fob or the keys. The passenger door locks fine and the immobiliser comes on but the drivers door can still be opened. The inside handle feels a bit 'floppy' and when I try and push the lock from the inside it won't budge. I have tried WD40 but no joy. Anyone any ideas?

I have had some issues with the alarm going off recently, don't know if that's got something to do with it.

Any help appreciated

Old 05-16-2014, 10:10 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

You're going to need to pop the panel off and have a look at the lock mech / or the bars that link it all together. can you lock from the inside?
Old 05-16-2014, 12:41 PM

i have a simular problem my drivers door locks and unlocks with the key but not the fob the pass side door works fine ?
Old 05-16-2014, 01:42 PM

Lock actuator motor is fried / rusted to death. Its a fiddle to change if you have fat hands :-)
Old 05-16-2014, 01:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pete, i can have a look at this for you sometime but I'm a lot busier these days being self employed give me a shout.

Cheers
Old 05-17-2014, 01:05 AM

UF: No it won't lock from inside, the locking tab won't budge

maccax: mine won't lock with the key or the fob

Adam: Thanks for the offer buddy but we've moved now and are down in the east mids. You are a wonderfully helpful chap, but even I wouldn't ask you to come down to Leicestershire

I'm going to drop the panel and see what's going on. It's never been off before, better keep my eye out for those little white plastic credit card thingies.....

Old 05-17-2014, 08:57 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Lube everything (including exterior handle mechanism)with white grease & it ought to work manually.

But the overloading might have fried the actuator.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had exactly the same symptoms with my drivers side door. Lock wouldnt budge with the key or the tab on the inside or even the central locking. Problem was that the central locking motor had seized cos it had rusted to buggery! And as the whole mechanism is connected to that motor, you won't be able to move it. So you're gonna need to get another motor, should look like the below. I changed it myself, a little fiddley but very do-able.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:27 PM

You can also steal the parts out of a working passenger actuator as long as the control electrics on the small circuit board are ok. The motor / gears are identical. Passenger actuator is cheaper than the drivers one - if you can order it from the USA, the parts are about 70% cheaper than Honda UK / EU.

Only the drivers side has the small circuit board in - so if that is also dead, you need to buy the drivers side actuator.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:26 AM

Thanks guys, looks like the actuator's my problem then. Presumably I can't buy a replacement from the US if I need to replace the whole unit (not just steal the parts) as I guess they are handed?

Lings Honda prices them at £97.00 each (drivers or passengers door are the same price, which seems odd). Nothing doing on flea bay at the moment, so it looks like I'm going to have to order from Lings.

Cheers again for the help

Quick Reply: Drivers door won't lock