UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Driver training

Old 04-30-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver training

Hi all,

All being well I will be purchasing my first S on Saturday.

Now naturally like most people excited about a new purchase I have done LOTS of research and the topic involving 'handling' of the S is well talked about and documented, in fact there's enough out there to put you off and not consider one at all! I have a Mazda MX-5 MK1 at the moment which doesn't feel twitchy particularly and I had a MK3 MX5 but that had some sort of traction control system.

I am quite man enough to admit I'm 23 and I work for Honda driving modern cars with lots of safety gadgets on them, my question is would people recommend a driver course of some sort of description? I want to enjoy the car and not be driving terrified, after what I've read I don't drive like a t**t but I still want to make progress and enjoy it.

I live in Nottingham so if anyone knows of anyone or any groups please give me a shout! Or just any comments assuring me if driven sensibly all is fine!

Cheers

Sam
Old 04-30-2015, 02:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Novice track days
Old 04-30-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

All i would say is put good tyres on and get a good alignment and you should be fine. When you drive in the wet or damp dont try and push the car. Unless you are a very good driver it can bite you quite easily.

They are dangerous cars but when the back does come out it can be quite quick and the average driver probably wont react quick enough. The only scary moments ive had are in the wet or damp. In the dry its a joy to drive.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:52 PM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

http://www.ridedrive.co.uk/ for on-road (and some off-road) training.

Track days with instruction are useful (and great fun), too.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As above, decent tyres. Full wheel alignment, don't push it in the wet, not nessessary to drive fast in bad conditions.

Track days are great, I wouldn't bother with novice track days, you'll be the only one being sensible! Seen some horrific driving on the novice days.

I would start with a 'car limits' day, bit more than a normal track day, but does what it says in the tin...do that : )
Old 04-30-2015, 09:48 PM

Received 653 Likes on 568 Posts

I live in sunny Notts

Don Palmer is good and does days at Brunty in leics

http://www.donpalmer.co.uk

I'm also pondering another place but not tried them yet, i'll dig out a link
Old 04-30-2015, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the answers guys the idea of doing a day training and learning more about how to enjoy and drive a rwd car quick ans safe would be good!

I will have a look at the above links and book something!

Where in Nottingham are you?

Sam
Old 05-01-2015, 12:26 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Also, just to bring some balance to the story - the S2000 isn't that wild. Of course, it has a reasonable amount of power put through unsanitised rears, and that can of course promote oversteer, but that is not to say it is constantly and relentlessly trying to kill you; always on the limit of breaking lose, poised to punish you if you so much as glance at the accelerator.
That isn't the case, and in some cases I wonder if the numerous scare stories make matters worse.
Always present in the mind, the fear of the back end stepping out in the wet - next thing you no, you feel the weight shifting, settling in a corner, "the internet told me about this!" panic, leap off the throttle, pirouette into tree/barrier/Friesian/Lidl

My advice would be just drive it normally. If its wet, go easier, as you would in any car. But don't let anxiety modify your driving into snatchy, aggressive inputs and you'll be fine. My mum's driven mine - peering over the wheel in her sixties, with no knowledge or understanding of oversteer or rear wheel drive. She didn't die.

So in conclusion - it will likely only misbehave and get lairy, if you misbehave and get lairy.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:31 AM

Received 653 Likes on 568 Posts

it's not just the wet though, in October the year after i bought mine i had a big off on the original SO2 tyres. it was sunny but cold, even though i was a good 6 miles out driving.

but i know what you mean.

it's always worth getting some training however in my opinion

This was the other one i'm considering Sam

http://www.drivertuition.com/

in Gedling myself, you?
Old 05-01-2015, 12:42 AM

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

I did a Ridedrive day. This was following an accident I had in the ice in my S which knocked my confidence a bit.

Following the day I significantly changed my driving style and the S became a joy to drive again and the techniques meant it was not the handful I was used to, particularly in marginal conditions.

Well worth the outlay IMHO.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Driver training