UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Drink Driving - split second decision time...

Old 06-21-2005, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Shisky - i don't buy your argument whatsoever, in relation to Arran. It is not a community as you describe in your second post.

Arran is big on tourism, so how do tourists know "who to look out for"? Fact is they don't

Island life may be different, it doesn't mean it is right, and that responsibilities fly out of the window, does it?

Old 06-21-2005, 01:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by san2000,Jun 21 2005, 10:33 PM
Shiskine....even if it is how you describe it, I still don't see that as a reason for Roadie to have let the police officer know.......although I'm not entirely sure that's what you're implying.

If it is....exactly why should the law be different for a small island community?

You're right. It's not. I was just trying to head off what might have been an avalanche of indignant claims in support of Graham. At the end of the day, it's Graham's call, and I respect that ...

Different on an island? Because of the amount of contact you'll typically have with your neighbours, life is more personal there, unlike the impersonal aspects of say London life that everyone bemoans. I just think (and Graham may correct me) that in "closer" communities, things are better when people sort things out amongst themselves, rather than requiring some prescribed law ...

But like I say, I'm not really qualified to speak either
Old 06-21-2005, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The right thing to do is to report it, but it's not easy when you live in a small community, or even if you are on holiday there.

About 6 mths after getting the S I drove around the north west highlands for a few days. Stopped for the night in this small inn/pub in a small village - got chatting to this guy for a while about cars etc (everyone seemed to know him). Guy was fascinated by the S, he was outside looking at it, I let him have a sit in it etc.

A couple of hours later, and several pints, he left slightly unsteady, and I assumed on foot, but then I heard and saw his car pull away.

I did think seriously about reporting it, but then didn't want to come down to my car in the morning and find the tyres slashed (which would have happened I'm sure, despite the friendliness of the locals in the pub).

Thing is, he could easily have collided with another car and killed someone

Its another reason to avoid driving at night in remote communities - a high proportion of drivers will be drunk.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:02 PM

[list=1]You have chosen wisely</old knight>
Old 06-21-2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Middlers,Jun 21 2005, 09:03 PM
SlicksAgain. You give the thumbs up to Roadkill for doing the right thing (correctly in my opinion) and then let yourself down by not informing on the people you suspected of being drink drivers. A quick call on the 9s may save someone's life. I have had to inform too many parents of their chidrens demise at the hands of drink drivers; not an easy task. On Sunday night I was almost collided with by what turned out to be a drink driver and a 16yr old at that, with his girlfriend in the car. There are still too many of them around and more people should have the courage of their convictions to report them.

Well done Roadkill.
I know what you are saying, and of course you are right, I did wonder whether I should have taken action after seeing them drive off, but it really is a different thing to say what you would do in a hypothetical situation, and then what you do for real when you are actually confronted with that situation.

I'm not trying to make excuses, but I wonder how many people in the same position could honestly say, without a doubt, they would have chosen to make the call to the police from a busy beer garden about three guys who they've witnessed drinking, and have then driven off, rather than simply turn a blind eye?

It probably says something about our society when the fear of reprisals and being viewed as an informent prevents many from doing what we really know is right.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:52 PM

You did the right thing. I would not feel guilty and have been put in the same situation when friends have gone to get into their cars after a few causing me to confiscate keys and threaten to report them.

It sounds like a holier than thou attitude however once your life has been touched by a drink driver it brings it home. Is death really the price of a taxi fare?

Sam was hit by a drink driver 3 years ago. The lady in question veered onto the wrong side of the road and was 4.5 times the legal limit at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon. The woman died in the incident. Sam had to deal with the mental traumas it caused and re-occuring back pain.(oh and loss of no claims trying to insure an S2000!!) This was minor considering what and who she could have killed on a Sunday afternoon on a main road between housing estates. She also had no insurance or road tax these are all the "victimless crimes!!"

I feel no pity for the person drink driving who could have killed my wife and is now removed from the gene pool preventing reproduction! Whether they are removed in the way above or behind bars/banned they pose a risk to us, our children and our loved ones because of their own selfish actions.

rant over............!

I would be the first to congratulate you rather than be derisive.

Edd
Old 06-21-2005, 03:02 PM

Certainly did the right thing.

I grassed up my dad about ten years ago when he stormed off in a huff after being at the pub - he regularly used to drink and drive and I'd had enough of seeing it. The cops didn't find him though...turned out he hadn't gone nearly as far as I thought he would as he was having an affair in a village about 3 miles away.

What a great day that was

(thankfully he never did have an accident and stopped drinking completely about 4 years ago )
Old 06-21-2005, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As if the others chiming hadn't already convinced you, you definitely did the right thing.

At the end of the day, any other arguments discounted, alcohol slows reactions. And it's peoples reactions that stop an scare becoming a tragedy.

One wierd observation I've made though, is that in London I saw more drink driving than in rural Lincolnshire. And there's no ing excuse in London because there is public transport. In lincolnshire, if you want to catch the bus to town, you don't check your watch, you check your calendar. So there's a reason, but which is not an excuse, for drink driving in rural areas.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Right thing, theres no need to drink and drive.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:07 PM

What if he'd been done for speeding AND drink driving? how do you feel now?
seriously though, don't feel guilty, people are responsible for there own behaviour, he made the decision, he has to live with the consequences.

If losing his licence is a big deal to him, then he should have damn well known better.

Quick Reply: Drink Driving - split second decision time...