UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Drift graphics?

Old 12-29-2009, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I should have put 'has anyone done this before' or 'an advice' rather than what's your peronal opinion which isn't actually helpful!

Cheers for all your 'help'
Old 12-29-2009, 01:11 AM

Stu
It's your car - do what you like with it

I would suggest getting a professional company to do it.
Curved metal is a mare to get right if you don't know what you are doing.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by vti stu,Dec 29 2009, 11:07 AM
Maybe I should have put 'has anyone done this before' or 'an advice' rather than what's your peronal opinion which isn't actually helpful!

Cheers for all your 'help'
As we see repeatedly, it's an opinionated bunch on S2K.
I'm not talking technical issues (they are easy to colour black or white), but opinions on 'purity'.

Unfortunately, as with many things in life, those who don't lead follow.
It's safer and the majority won't risk ridicule from peers.
And that includes ideas on design and development of an old Jap car.
Maked sure you put some photos up, good ones, of the end product.
I can't help directly as it's not something I have done.

I was after some 2d style small graphics for the Liquid Yellow Renault to replace oem badges.
At a Jap show (I think it was Japfest 08) I saw a new idea - a car covered in transparent slighly raised text.
This was more ealbourate than the simple embossed badges found on eBay and signmakers shops.
It was akin to writing with a really heavy clear laquer 'pen' and the body colour was visible through it.
Subtle effect, but still havent found the company.
Any ideas?
Old 12-29-2009, 05:02 AM

What style graphics are you looking for because 'real' drift grpahics aren't that exciting and are mostly sponsorship decals like you would have on most race cars (all be it the companies have some cool designs) Or are you looking for the show style graphics as shown on the pics above?
If done right any graphics can look great, if done wrong they can look awful have you looked into any particular styles or have an idea of anything you like?
Old 12-29-2009, 05:18 AM

Personally I think my favorite "drift" graphics were the subtle stripes with a splash found on the Signal Auto S15's

Old 12-29-2009, 05:54 AM

I love the true 'drift' graphics personally one of my close mates has just sent in all his details to join the JDM all stars so will be spending a lot of time with them at the shows next year. Here is a good example of the graphis, simple but effective (as long as you actually have the parts you advertising for lol)

Old 12-29-2009, 06:00 AM

There are two problems with the S2000 and applying graphics on it.

1. There are very few places with a template for the car. I had to source one and it still wasn't great, so I gave up on any full-size graphics and have always stuck to lettering/text/logos.

2. The car, as Gaspode says, has curves on it. Trying to wrap big sheets of vinyl over it without the correct template/tools/experience will inevitably result in failure. I know. I've tried.

Get in touch with Will at Viper Grafix and he may be able to help. He has tons of stock images too. www.vipergrafix.co.uk .
Old 12-29-2009, 06:12 AM

Any graphics company worth their salt can curve graphics no problem at all, even I have managed to put graphics onto my front wings with no issues. S2000's can look really good with the right stuff on them, have a look and see if there is a branch of a company called Racoon near you as the can wrap anything in anything you want
Example of graphics on a curved car

Another S2 with graphics

Old 12-29-2009, 06:39 AM

Your examples outline my points. The bottom pic is relatively easy as this doesn't include wrapping per se. I mean, even I could do that!

The top example is far more complex and would be tricky for any individual or graphic design company who doesn't do this for a living. Not all design companies offer vehicle wrapping. In fact, most don't.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:44 AM

Indeed it does mate, As I said contacting someone like racoon would be best as they can take any desing/photo that you have and trasfer it onto the necessary template (I know Racoon have one for an S2k) as you said without that you wont get the vinyl to sit right in a million years of trying

Quick Reply: Drift graphics?