UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Down Pour INSIDE the Car

Old 11-11-2005, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down Pour INSIDE the Car

I've been meaning to post this for a while since rainy season is now well and truly in full swing and I've had a little down pour inside the car on a couple of mornings.

Let me see if I can explain this with the aid of a pic;

when there's a down pour over night, the drivers side corner rubber seal (1) on the hood seems to accumulate water which passes through the gap in the seal and pours down a break in the rubber (2). When I get in, in the morning it normally looks damp in the corner (1) but it doesn't drip. It's only when I start to drive the momentum pushes the water along the gap in the rubber seal and it pours out from (2).

This only happens on the drivers side (wouldn't be so bad if the passenger got soaked).

I'm sure there are previous posts about leaks but were they like this? Has anyone found a solution?

Any suggestions?
Old 11-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

When did you last grease the seals?

Mine did this last winter. I dried out the seals, and then greased them. Problem no more
Old 11-11-2005, 02:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000_UK,Nov 11 2005, 10:11 PM
I'm sure there are previous posts about leaks but were they like this? Has anyone found a solution?
I had this problem and posted about it here.

It's as if the seal is filling with water (sounds like someone squeezing a sponge whenever I shut the door) and the leak is not coming from between the glass and the seal, but over the top of the seal or through the gap in the seal halfway along the window line as you describe in 2 ...

S2000 ... is the pressure from the window glass consistent along the top of your window? I'm sure my glass is distorting the seal (and therefore possibly causing the leak) as if I run my fingers along the bottom of the seal (from inside the car), there feels like there's too much pressure on it in the middle.

Not sure a) how it happened and b) what I can do to fix it. Greasing my door seals didn't seem to make any difference so I've just been garaging it every night ...
Old 11-12-2005, 01:48 AM
Xd

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Nov 11 2005, 10:18 PM
When did you last grease the seals?

Mine did this last winter. I dried out the seals, and then greased them. Problem no more

Mine started to leak on a MY03, dont think they had ever been greased in their life. Honda bible reccomends greasing every three months.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:04 AM

Mine does this - but only on the passenger side - although the Mrs doesn't like it one bit. I therefore don't really care . On a serious note, it's not a seal greasing issue, but a door/roof alignment problem that is relatively easy to fix but I haven't got round to it yet (just need to adjust the door latch in the door jam so the door isn't held quite so tightly when closed).

On a similar subject - anyone else notice that if the car is parked at a slight angle during heavy rain and you subsequently open the boot, the water runs of the boot lid, into the rain channel around the boot (as it should!), but then creates a mini-Niagra Falls effect as it runs out over the rear bumper - normally onto the Mrs' feet as she's putting stuff in the boot (not good in winter months when the water is somewhat cold ). This is worst after a recent polish when the water runs of the bootlid much faster.

Apparently this is a 'major design flaw' and just goes to demonstrate that no women, nor men with any sense were involved in designing the car - making me a sexist pig for driving it and inept because I can't do anything about it ...

My Mrs therefore gets wet feet filling the boot, then a brief shower as the door seal dumps its contents into her lap as I drive off - doesn't make for an easy life I must admit.

Andy
Old 11-12-2005, 03:02 AM

I get the opposite....... water fills up in the seals but comes out of corner 1 when I brake and it's only on the drivers side to and also sounds like a sponge when closing the door !
Old 11-12-2005, 03:39 AM

The seal arrangement around the hood is very complicated.

Try this

1) Carefully clean all the sealing rubbers with the hood in a halfway open position so you can get to the joint surfaces (2) in your picture.
2) Pay attention to the seal on the windscren suround at position 1 in your picture. there should be some pieces or solid rubber bonded inside this complex area just at the top of each "a pillar" for want of a better description. check the drivers side one is in the same place as the passenger one.
3) Carefully rub Shin Etsu or similar SILICONE grease into all the seals. (The warmer the better for this step - within reason - like massaging in moisturiser - don't ask!) Pay attention to the inside surfaces and joints between seals.
4) Check window heights when windows are fully up to make sure they are the same. There is a bit of adjustment possible apparently.
5) Park car on level ground if possible.
6) Check to see that food "fabric" sticks out past line of windows - water is supposed to drip off of the hood onto the window.
7) make sure the hood is claen and treat to make sure it is "beading" water when it rains. If it's soaking in then this too can be a problem.

Hope this helps. - Years ago this amount of water ingress would not have raised an eyebrow. Even with the S2000 water will still run off of the car hood into the cabin when you open the doors in the rain
Old 11-12-2005, 04:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the exact same problem on both sides! But the drivers side cured itself a few weeks ago and it seems the passenger side is now waterless!
Old 11-12-2005, 06:13 AM

use gummy pledge a grease to soften up the rubber i had the same problem with my old z3
Old 11-12-2005, 06:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aldfort,Nov 12 2005, 12:39 PM
7) make sure the hood is claen and treat to make sure it is "beading" water when it rains. If it's soaking in then this too can be a problem.

Even with the S2000 water will still run off of the car hood into the cabin when you open the doors in the rain
Good post ...

Wit regard treatment, although I've done it, I never really thought it was necessary as the hood is vinyl and therefore not permeable, whether treated or not.

In fact, having the water bead on the hood only makes the "water run-off when door opens" problem worse, IMHO.

Quick Reply: Down Pour INSIDE the Car