UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Door Dings

Old 10-27-2011, 03:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The MR2 Roadster owners club hold an annual Ding Day at Demon Tweaks in Wrexham. They hire a Ding remover and pay him a set fee and divide the cost between everyone who wants dings fixed. This year it worked out at £5 per ding. A lot less than you'd pay getting it done individually.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:20 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Dosn't matter how far you park away from other cars, you will always come back with a white van one side and a beaten up Range Rover with kiddie seats on the other, with the whole car park to choose from they always aim for your S.
I wouldn't be suprised to come back and find some chav sperm using the roof as a trampoline.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:29 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Dosn't matter how far you park away from other cars, you will always come back with a white van one side and a beaten up Range Rover with kiddie seats on the other, with the whole car park to choose from they always aim for your S.
I wouldn't be suprised to come back and find some chav sperm using the roof as a trampoline.
it's funny you say that, as it used to be my experience (not the sperm bit)

now when I'm driving something I care about, I will always find my space and then once parked I'll sit and check my phone/make calls/text for 5 mins

it's very unlikely that someone parks next to me when the car is occupied and if they do, once they've seen someone is in the car, they are careful with their parking/exiting the vehicle

I've only had a couple of amazing experiences where I've been sat in the car and someone has thumped it

in both cases, in the absence of any acknowledgement, I simply reciprocated the bash, with interest

most satisfying, especially in one case when it was a spanking new 4x4

Old 10-27-2011, 04:44 AM

The thing is, the majority of the population see a car as a consumable and aren't really that bothered about their own car, let alone yours

The only dents I've had in recent years are when the car has been brand new and collected from the dealer. Transit damage is very common and is not limited to minor imperfections in some cases.

Never had a new car that has been perfect and blemish/ dent free
Old 10-27-2011, 04:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
The thing is, the majority of the population see a car as a consumable and aren't really that bothered about their own car, let alone yours
I don't agree

I think people care about their possessions but are ambivalent<>malicious towards those of others

I can give you a simple litmus test

Try sitting on the bonnet of a random car and make some phone calls

See how many people say nothing when returning to their car
Old 10-27-2011, 05:55 AM

That's something different altogether. It involves you having no regard for someone elses property and taking the piss a bit. It's personal.

Whether the person would be concerned as to the actual damage to the car is another thing.

Most people expect dents and knocks as part and parcel of car ownership IME. That's not to say they are happy about it, they just expect it and only get pissed off when they hand back their mobility car and get a bill

Cars more than a couple of years old are rarely mint and as new IME. Applies to all marques although some more than others obviously.

People are more likely to take care of their Veyron and be precious about it compared to the average Vauxhall.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
That's something different altogether. It involves you having no regard for someone elses property and taking the piss a bit. It's personal.

Whether the person would be concerned as to the actual damage to the car is another thing.

Most people expect dents and knocks as part and parcel of car ownership IME. That's not to say they are happy about it, they just expect it and only get pissed off when they hand back their mobility car and get a bill

Cars more than a couple of years old are rarely mint and as new IME. Applies to all marques although some more than others obviously.

People are more likely to take care of their Veyron and be precious about it compared to the average Vauxhall.
ok just clonk a few occupied cars with your trolley next time you are at Waitrose

that's accidental but I bet you'll be confronted more often than people saying nothing
Old 10-27-2011, 06:12 AM

Like I said, nobody would be happy about damage to their car

But most people accept minor damage will happen from time to time. It's inevitable for the average car if you leave it in a car park or on the street. Or drive it. Or get it wet. Or have a bird (the feathered kind) shit on it.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:14 AM

fair wear and tear on lease cars allows 2 dents per panel up to 1cm in size with no paint damage, i regularly deal with jap and french cars with dents German ones take alot more to damage and most are supermarkets elderly, kids and people getting babies out, park next to tidy looking new or expensive cars as they may take more care but no guarantees.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is people dont realise they're creating a dent by opening the door against the car next to it... They haven't goe a clue how weak the sheet metal really is

Quick Reply: Door Dings