UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Does familiarity breed contempt...?

Old 03-19-2006, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does familiarity breed contempt...?

For the past 4 years or so, the S2000 has been my only car. Whilst I don't use it in the week, it tended to get used almost every weekend, probably more in recent months for tootling back and forth to the supermarket rather than anything like "proper" driving.

A few weeks ago, we bought a 1.4 Clio as a second car and a runaround for Jenny. Since then, that's all I've been driving. It's a perfectly functional means of getting from A to B, has more room in the boot for those visits to Costco where it's impossble to come out without having spent more than a hundred quid, and for when the weather makes a 75bhp FWD small car more appealing than a 240bhp RWD roadster. It's surprising how quickly you adjust to something new.

I took the S out yesterday, just for a 30 minute blast. What a revelation. It feels like you're sitting IN it, rather than ON it. The steering (which is usually taken as being one of the S's weaker points) feels soooooo much less woolly and vague than the Clio. The spurt of power when you drop the hammer in second made me smile again. In short, it feels "special" again.

I'm sure this is old news to those of you with a second car, so forgive me for wasting your time with what may seem like a statement of the bleeding obvious. But I suspect that those people who don't have another less accomplished vehicle to drive on a regular basis may, like I have tended to do recently, take the S for granted.

It's no secret that I've had "itchy feet" over the past six months and have been considering offloading the S to swap it for a 993. Whilst I'd still love a Porker, I'm starting to wonder whether having the S as a second car, for high days and holidays, for when the weather is better and when you can drive for the fun of it, will give me the grin factor once again that it did when I first had it..... Perhaps I may just hang onto it after all!

Old 03-19-2006, 11:42 AM
KMB

I usually drive an Astra 1.4 during the week........ makes the S seem much more special at weekends and eves
Old 03-19-2006, 11:45 AM

It's true, I use my S for everything - 90% travelling for work, which takes the fun out of it anyway (unless you finish early and the suns out - getting paid to drive it is always a bonus!) but I used my Dad's car after mine was broken into for two weeks and haven't really been anywhere since. Just been for a blast through the airport tunnels with the roof off - GREAT! Love it!

Had to laugh at your Costco comment - get sucked in and go to Makro as well and you're doomed!

Enjoy!

Neil
Old 03-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

get rid of it

if you want one for weekends

better to get an older, cheaper one imo

keep that one of yours and it will cost you
Old 03-19-2006, 11:46 AM

I know exactly how you feel!

My S used to be my daily car until recently when doing 500miles a week and its petrol in the S was making a fat hole in my pocket. So I've been commuting to work with my civic for a few weeks now and leaving my S for the weekends.

Every friday I am gagging to get into my S. I appreciate it so much more then I had when I was driving it everyday. The blasts through the B-roads is so enjoyable.

This weekend has been even more exciting with my decat pipe on. The sounds it makes is mad! I just cannot get enough of it

Tomorrow's back to work, which means no S for another 5 days

S 4ever

Old 03-19-2006, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thought you might ditch the porsche idea..

I can't see it making sense unless you really need a daily sportscar...and are prepared to put the serious wedge down to get a decent one.

I have been tempted on tivs' and others including the red stuff, but the S is more than enough fun at the moment.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=gaddafi,Mar 19 2006, 10:46 PM] get rid of it

if you want one for weekends

better to get an older, cheaper one imo

keep that one of yours and it will cost you
Old 03-19-2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kobe,Mar 19 2006, 08:53 PM
thought you might ditch the porsche idea..
It's not ditched - barring a big payrise (and I'm not holding my breath ) it's probably what I would like to move to next. Just that the urge to change may not be compelling as it has seemed to be of late.

Pete does have a point, I suppose. Hadn't really thought of it in those terms, although I can't argue with the logic. Still can't see myself selling up and buying a third (older and cheaper) one though.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:02 PM

I think I'm going the same way.

Now have the Focus for the M-way commute, and, to be honest, 8-9 days out of 10 on a rush-hour M1 the Focus is the better car to be in for 75 miles a day and a full-day's graft, and I won't be as devastated if some rep hits it.

But we got out in the S today - first 'proper' blat in it. And oh boy, it's lovely. Something even more special than the 'teg, if not as intuitive to go balls-to-the-wall in.

So I think I'm likely to stick to 2 cars, even if we move closer to my job - there's something about having an S to look forward to at the weekend...

...although there is that little nagging voice in the back of my head going 'teg, teg, teg' for that daily-driver!!!
Old 03-19-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned

I used to travel overseas a lot in my old job, and had to drive all manner of dodgy cars from Skoda's to Daihatsu's and from Peugeot's to Dodge's. They all felt like utter sh*te when I jumped back in the S at the airport.

The drive home was always taken the long way to become familiar with the car again, enjoy the steering and brakes, the lack of body roll, and the fantastic acceleration and noise. Roof down in the snow in December on the way back from a long spell in Prague was one of the highlights. Despite being bloody cold and looking like a dick, it made me feel glad to be alive.

Quick Reply: Does familiarity breed contempt...?