UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Does anyone esle think.......

Old 03-07-2003, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or maybe we could become traffic police?

How hard can it be to eat a pie and drive at the same time?

P.S. If any police office is reading this I didn't type this it was my little 8 year old nephew who is below the age of criminal responsibility although quite a good speller for his age.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:42 AM

Originally posted by cheshire_carper
Has anyone watched the film I.D.?

The cops may start by monitoring our board but get so excited they join our circle, buy an S and become one of us.....
... But then after a while he will get so immersed in the world of the S2000 that he will add the most over the top Veilside kit and start organising races. He will spray his car with all sorts of F&F type graphics and try to crash into all S2000 owners he meets al la ID ....

On a serious not ..... the police may monitor this site but they could never justify acting on anything published as it would probably be counted as hearsay.

MR TURNER ... rules of evidence please. I am a bit rusty ..... what would happen if the coppers acted on anything mentioned here ?????
Old 03-07-2003, 05:43 AM

Originally posted by cheshire_carper
Has anyone watched the film I.D.?

The cops may start by monitoring our board but get so excited they join our circle, buy an S and become one of us.....
I am Gumbo. Mnmmfnnnmm.

My neighbour is a traffic cop, I'd ask him but unfortunately he's also in the TA and is currently sitting around picking sand out of his sandwiches in Kuwait...

Funny story about him actually:- He's a nice guy and all, but a bit big headed. I've seen him a few times after he's been on exercise and he's been very vocal about running around blowing things up etc. He makes the TA sound like the SAS sometimes with his tales of bravery.
I spoke to his wife the other day, you know, usual neighbour stuff "Must be missing him, two small children, dangerous etc.", she tells me that it's difficult but at least he shouldn't be in too much danger. "Why?" I ask, "Don't you think there will be a war?"
"No" she replies "But the laundry corps will be staying in Kuwait"...

I tried very hard not to laugh, but totally failed. I don't think she was very amused.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by S2K HTY
MR TURNER ... rules of evidence please. I am a bit rusty ..... what would happen if the coppers acted on anything mention here ?????
They're quite entitled to rely on what they might see on here in terms of it being justification for being there in the first place.

I think postings would also at least in theory be admissible in evidence as evidence of previous inconsistent statements, if you were to have said one thing to them when stopped and questioned but had previously said something different on the board.

That said, I'm a civil lawyer not a criminal lawyer, and the rules of evidence are a bit different - so I might not have got that quite right.

Either way, I think it would be prudent to limit the amount of information which is posted about routes for drives, if the intention is to go for a run after meeting up at one of the periodic meets which are arranged through the board.

It has occurred to me in the past that the Dibble may well be within their rights to demand formal notice of a gathering of as many cars as we get at some meets - especially where you have 50 or so sportscars driving in convoy with all the implications for traffic which that has generally, as there were at SM2. I seem to remember from my dim and distant university days that the Public Order Act required at least 7 days notice to be given where there was a planned demonstration or march involving over a prescribed number of people. By analogy, that could also apply to cars.......
Old 03-07-2003, 08:11 AM

Check this out ....... not sure if it applies ............ I will look into it over the weekend. I may not be a solicitor anymore but I try and keep apprised of the change in the law. Don't you just love CURRENT LAW AND STATUTES ANNOTATED Mr Turner ?

[QUOTE]Regulation of motoring events on public ways.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:16 AM

I'm not sure whether they apply either, Hash - but I can see the rozzers having a good go at arguing that they DO apply and that a failure to observe the Regs is therefore actionable.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:24 AM

I think they may have a hard time proving that such an event was a disruption to the public highway and therefore in breach of the SPIRIT of the statute.

The fact that it states the following:-

A person who promotes or takes part in a competition or trial (other than a race or trial of speed) involving the use of motor vehicles on a public way
could be taken to mean any motoring event that is not a race .... such as a motor enthusiasts meet. Its borderline, but I have seen must looser breaches of law then this.

Let me look into it and get back to you all over the weekend.

I don't think there is anything to worry about given the fact that there have been 2 other events and not one of them has met with any opposition from the police.

Don't we have any coppers @ S2Ki ???????
Old 03-07-2003, 08:27 AM

I'm sure I remember seeing a couple of posts when I first started reading here from a Superintendent (or maybe Chief Super) from one of the force's traffic divisions. I can't remember who it was though.......
Old 03-07-2003, 08:29 AM

.... he would have to be to drive an S (I am assuming he was a member) Police pay sucks.

Do you not have a criminal lawyer @ your practice Mark ?
Old 03-07-2003, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One interesting point - how can they actually link a post on this board to an individual, I guess posting a photo of your own car without blanking the reg would do it but otherwise there is nothing on this site that would link me to any post by Frisky.

Getting hold of registration and access logs to the servers might be tricky too as they are based in Canada.

How admissable in court is information from a public internet message board where anyone can post anything they like under any forum name they choose?

- Adam. (or is it?)

Quick Reply: Does anyone esle think.......