UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Does anyone esle think.......

Old 03-07-2003, 03:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Chris Type R
How do you know this ?
A year or so ago there were regular bike runs organised via the uk.rec.motorcycles newsgroup.

During one of these runs a police motorcyclist joined in the middle of the run and stopped one of the bikers.

Basically told the guy that they knew all about the runs, how they were organised etc...said that there were complaints from locals and that the runs had to stop....and that they were going to make an example of him.

Result was one of my mates got a 6 month ban and a
Old 03-07-2003, 03:27 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Maybe we could test this theory by setting up some dummy road racing meets, & waiting to see how many plod turn up to an empty car park somewhere!

On second thoughts, no - there's bound to be some dummy who thinks it's real and gets busted.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

What's illegal about meeting up with other enthusiast car owners? I always obey the speed limit and my car is perfectly road legal.

Old 03-07-2003, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Boxhill meet had the Old Bill in attendance, so how did they know about it?
Old 03-07-2003, 03:51 AM

I can see why a forum would be monitored if complaints from the public are received about regular runs, I expect they're obliged to investigate it if enough whingers ring up.

It would be the easiest way to find out when the next one was and who organised it, but as a routine practise it seems a little OTT IMHO

Lets face it, to catch someone driving dangerously, the Police only have to park up somewhere and wait for the first van driver to come thundering past with bald tyres, incorrectly inflated, tailgating the car in front, and with so much crud on their windows that visibility is practically nil

edit: OTOH if meets are perceived to be a general possible nuisance by default, warranting a Police presence then the theory could be right!

Good job my speedo only gives me kph readings
Old 03-07-2003, 04:09 AM

[conspiracytinfoilhelmeton]

Wouldn't it be easier, in these days of shrinking budgets and dwindling numbers of traffic cops to have someone check a few internet boards and assign a couple of plod directly to the place indicated, at the time indicated. that way they could catch a dozen or so 'Lacks Power' boys in Imprezas all at once rather than station them by the side of the road on the off chance they might see someone doing something naughty. better statistics for the cheif super that way....

[conspiracytinfoilhelmetoff]
Old 03-07-2003, 04:29 AM

I guess that if I had to pick between surfing the net all day for some leads, or going out on patrol, I may just manage a bit of the former.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:30 AM

The Police to hit the web sites! Long story short, there was a meet with another club and an accident happened, when the Police were collecting interviews they had print outs of all the relative threads and were quizing people on what they had typed........

So be careful with your words, they may bite your ass!

Matt
Old 03-07-2003, 04:33 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Matt555
[B]The Police to hit the web sites!
Old 03-07-2003, 04:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone watched the film I.D.?

The cops may start by monitoring our board but get so excited they join our circle, buy an S and become one of us.....

Quick Reply: Does anyone esle think.......