UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Do you tell your insurance company about all mods?
Yes always
42.11%
Yes but only if its a major change
31.58%
No I hope I'll get away with it
21.05%
Never bother
5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Do you tell your insurance company about all mods?

Old 04-08-2003, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you tell your insurance company about all mods?

Just wondered how honest everyone is....... if you could make a mod that could be reversed in case of an insurance claim eg PRM CAI (no cutting required so you could put the old airbox back in case of a crash)...... would you own up and pay the premium asked by most insurance firms?
Old 04-08-2003, 06:23 AM

If you write your car off, the chances are that it will be towed back to a garage/repairer direct where it will be assessed by your insurer - possibly before you see it again. If you're injured your first thought are unlikely to be "I must get back to the car to change my airbox"!

Most insurers will look for any way to get out of paying you, that's their job. I wouldn't risk it.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:32 AM

I agree with Neil,

it goes without saying that insurance companies will take whatever action they can to get out of paying out on a policy, or pay less than the market value of the car etc.

Its just not worth giving them an excuse as nice as "failure to disclose information on a mod".

R.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:56 AM

I am getting all my mods insured simply because of the costs involved. Tesco have been quite good and are charging roughly 10% of their value and for that I can't really say no. If anything happens to my car, I know I am going to get a like for like replacement.

Mike
Old 04-08-2003, 06:56 AM

Depends on the mod.

If the mod is on the outside (wheels, bodykit etc.) then delare it if you want it covered.

If the mod is under the bonnet or involves the braking/suspension etc. then declare it else insurers will try to invalidate claim.

However, I don't think you need tell them about putting in a clock or console cover etc.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UK_S2000
[B]I am getting all my mods insured simply because of the costs involved.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Mark Turner
I need to let them know about the K&N filter I've now fitted.
Surely this is just a "make" of air-filter, Mark. Is the design noticeably different from stock
Old 04-08-2003, 07:13 AM

It would be interesting to see if anyones told there insurers about their grille-tech grills? After all there a mod. Then again I guess so are muz mats and voodoo knobs. They all "in theory" change the car, making it more valuble to a potential theif.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:24 AM

I made sure I got an acknowledgement in writing from my insurers regards the HKS exhaust

insurance companies will do their best to not pay out ie avoid a loss, if you injure a 3rd party or worst case kill them then the insurance company will seek to recover their costs from you if they find any reason to invalidate the policy........a death will cost millions and they will bankrupt you, your life will be f**ked

it's not worth the risk..declare all mods
Old 04-08-2003, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by PWE 896
Surely this is just a "make" of air-filter, Mark. Is the design noticeably different from stock
Depends on the wording of the policy, Pete - I can't immediately remember what Tesco's policy says.

What I do remember is Craig Armstrong telling me he had called Tesco to enquire whether he would be charged for fitting the Aus CAI he had on order. After explaining to them (at length) what it did, they said the nearest category of mod it fitted which was listed on their system was "after-market air filter".

So, on the face of it, even something as mundane as a non-stock filter is fair game. I suspect they wouldn't make an issue out of it UNLESS it produced a major bhp increase - I'd imagine that's why it's on the list to start with. The K&N of course does not produce such an increase, but better safe than sorry......

Quick Reply: Do you tell your insurance company about all mods?