UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Do you like my new number plate?

Old 07-17-2002, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even better, Cedric! Rude not to, at that price........
Old 07-17-2002, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me.......

Chuffed.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:55 PM

Fantastic (and future proof!), congrats on the new purchase. Can't wait to see them on your motor
Old 07-19-2002, 01:24 AM

Blimey. What service!

I bought this number 'on line' at 6p.m. on Wednesday evening, ordering the plates at the same time. The postman was ringing the bell at 7.10a.m. this morning with the plates.

The nice thing about the plates is that when they made them up they've obviously realized exactly what's required, and my guess is that whilst they haven't used any illegal spacing, they've used the minimum legal spacing. The result is they look pretty good so I shouldn't have to try and get any naughty plates made up.

There must be some paperwork to follow I suppose?? To be honest I haven't got a clue what happens now!
Old 07-19-2002, 03:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson

There must be some paperwork to follow I suppose?? To be honest I haven't got a clue what happens now!
For a DVLA plate, I got a V750 - "Certificate of entitlement". There's a different one if it's a plate that's been previously issued.

You just pop along to a DVLA office (or post it) along with your V5. They make up a new tax disc with the new registration on. Once you've got that you change tax discs (sending the old one to the DVLA at the address they give you), and put the new plates one. Simple

-Brian.
Old 07-19-2002, 03:26 AM

Thanks Brian! A Post office can't change the tax disc then?

Bugger...this means I get to wrestle with my 'Ripspeed' tax disc all over again!
Old 07-19-2002, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
Thanks Brian! A Post office can't change the tax disc then?
'Fraid not, Tonky. And your local DVLA office is in Birmingham - I went in there last week to assign my plate to my car. It's tucked away in Edward Street behind the National Indoor Arena. I walked over during my lunch hour, cos it looked like it might be a bit of a bugger to park......

Other than having to queue for 40 mins (so probably best if you don't go during 12-2!), it was a 30 second job - hand over the V5, the certificate of entitlement and your tax disc, they print you out a new disc for the re-monikered Tonkymobile and off you go. The bloke told me to put my new plates on as soon as I could, but that you can get away with not doing so for a week or two, until DVLA actually process the paperwork.

Oh, and take a fan in there with you, as they don't seem to have air-conditioning and it must have been 30 degrees plus. Lord knows how the staff work there!
Old 07-19-2002, 11:58 AM

Oh Nooo!

It's starting to look like a postal job!
Old 07-19-2002, 12:10 PM

Might be easier for you, if you're in no rush to put the new plates on, I guess. I phoned DVLA to see how long it would take, before deciding whether to go and do it in person, and was told it is taking 4-5 weeks to turn around the V5 at the moment.

That said, I got the V5 back within 10 days when I registered the change of ownership of my car a few weeks back.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
[B]Oh Nooo!

Quick Reply: Do you like my new number plate?