UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Do I need a new clutch?

Old 09-09-2005, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a new clutch?

I did my first long drive in my S2000 last night. I had to go down to Brighton. The car was running fine and I'm very happy with it.

However there is a resonance/vibration in the clutch at about 4k. It's always had this and I know it's a know fault. The thing is last night the noise was getting so bad it sounded like the dashboard was affected as well I was coasting downhill at 4k and it was rediculous.

The clutch itselft bites nices and low. There is a bit of judder on pullaway but it reminds me of my old CRX Vti. I think the operation is normal.

How much is a new clutch? I have the car booked in for a 35k service next weekend with Beaconsfield Honda. I don't have any experience of this dealership and whilst they seem fine I want to KNOW that the problem will be resolved before putting a new clutch in.

I'm assuming this must be quite a common issue. Is there any gargage in the London/South East area who really know their stuff with these cars?

Thanks..
Old 09-09-2005, 12:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

a new clutch fitted is
Old 09-09-2005, 01:00 AM
GSi

Sounds like the 054 clutch thing. AFAIK none have ever failed, they're just noisey. Rattling the dash sounds a bit extreme though!

If you have any warranty you should be able to get it replaced FOC. If not its pretty expensive, have a search on here for clutch replacement and you should find plenty of into - parts/costs/alternatives etc.

Pull away should be smooth - few more revs perhaps?
Noise should only occur whilst decellerating at about 4k -> 3k revs.

If it does 'other things' you might have a different prob
Old 09-09-2005, 01:06 AM

Argggg HAVE YOU READ THE FAQ? I've told you the link many times now

Old 09-09-2005, 01:17 AM

054/055 Clutch

The clutches on the earlier cars, numbered 054, can make quite a lot of noise when decelerating in gear. These clutches can be replaced by the 055 clutch under warranty.
I don't have a warranty as the car is an 00 model. If this was a recall issue then I'd be interested in hearing about it.

GSi - I don't think there's a problem with the clutch performance. I just think it's a bit more raw than my last car.

As the problem is getting worse I'm wondering if there is something loose that is getting looser. It seems worse when the car is warm.

If I'm expected to drop
Old 09-09-2005, 01:33 AM
GSi

The FAQ doesn't have a lot of detail on it. More can be had from a search - as I mentioned above.

It was never a real recall. It was just one of those things that they looked at if the punter complained. On mine, I complained a few times and they said 'nothing wrong with it' and then one service they decided it needed doing themselves and booked it in under warranty.

If you don't have a warranty, you could approach Honda UK to see if they'll sort you out as a goodwill gesture. Or get yourself an extended warranty and then book it in in a few weeks time

Failing that, on reading some of the previous posts on the subject, I think you'll find that you don't need to replaced it all - just the pressure plate and another bit IIRC. So you could effect a much cheaper fix than getting the lot replaced.

HTH.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by GSi,Sep 9 2005, 01:33 AM
The FAQ doesn't have a lot of detail on it. More can be had from a search - as I mentioned above.

It was never a real recall. It was just one of those things that they looked at if the punter complained. On mine, I complained a few times and they said 'nothing wrong with it' and then one service they decided it needed doing themselves and booked it in under warranty.

If you don't have a warranty, you could approach Honda UK to see if they'll sort you out as a goodwill gesture. Or get yourself an extended warranty and then book it in in a few weeks time

Failing that, on reading some of the previous posts on the subject, I think you'll find that you don't need to replaced it all - just the pressure plate and another bit IIRC. So you could effect a much cheaper fix than getting the lot replaced.

HTH.
Thanks GSi.. great stuff.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:12 AM

I get this occasionally and yes it does sound like the dash is rattling...but it doesn't - the noise eminates from behind the dash.

It is a "non-destructive" rattle I'm told. I have an 054 clutch plate and the replacement 055 will cost me about
Old 09-09-2005, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Shipley,Sep 9 2005, 04:12 AM
Call it a feature !!
I'd like to call it a feature... and I'm sure when I tearing round the Nurburgring I won't be too bothered but when I'm cruising around London it's certainly a defect

Whether it's worth