UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

DMS 450BHP Supercharge built for Greg

Old 02-22-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not at all, carbon clutch feel like oem and have oem like biting point. Even on twin plate you can still use it everyday in/out traffic without having your left foot in pain.

Carbon clutch last so much longer even with constant abuse and it only get more aggressive when it's hot. So you get a proper racing clutch when you go track, it also allow small amount of slip so it doesn't cause wheel spin at launch.

My race car used to have twin carbon plate clutch and after whole year of abused, it was like new when we took it out with almost no wear and that was with me launching at 2nd gear with 7000rpm.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:08 AM

We got something to play around with the cams today -

Old 02-25-2012, 02:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Haha good old woodruff keys

What you going for? -1 on the intake and +2 on the exhaust? or you putting your highly flowing exhaust system on this car?

Please do a before and after dyno run.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish i knew how that worked lol
Old 02-25-2012, 02:57 AM

Raz,

All these keys do it line them up simply, the keys have a step in them so they offset the rotation of the cam to advance or retard hence the name 'woodruff offset keys'.

When you change cam timing, the intake valve opens sooner before TDC and the exhaust valve closes closer to BDC, its the position of the cams in relation to the cam gears. You can reduce overlap, just think of it helping the flow esp when boost is building you want to get let it flow through as quickly as possible without restrictions, altering the cam timing does this thus gains more power.

Depending on what setting you have you alter the overlap in the SC case decrease so your not wasting boost and allowing to flow out quicker.

N/A is different you want to get the most power by scanvenging - sucking into the cylinders from exhaust gas velocity. With this said stock cam timing setup is never beneficial for boost, however depending on setup you 'could' see benefits on N/A wise too.

The more the boost the bigger gain and the more important cam timing is, even low boost will benefit. With this said its about a 2 hour job and £70-80 odd worth of parts, or your setup and boost you'd probably see 20-30WHP easily. Just make sure bits are correctly torqued up and lined up. The only negative i can think of is increased EGT's slightly and slight increase of heat on the exhaust valves, but just run the car richer - but probably not needed though.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:09 AM

We will be running +1 on exhaust and -2 on intake as we are using the Pro76R manifold on this so will have more than enough to clear the back pressure.

Will be fitting this before the dyno, we have the 3.2inch 15psi pulley so we already know it will run 450bhp with stock timing. Let see what we gonna get from this, we should be have this all ready to map by the end of next week.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:15 AM

Good stuff Dixon, if i was sure what i was going to do with the car I'd take the car to you to do it, but also your just too far away from me

There's not really anyone up north to trust lol, other than myself and my mate LOL
Old 02-25-2012, 03:32 AM

Thanks for the theory lesson AJ what i was really wondering was how they mechanically work. Are they just blended up and added to the oil, or do you jam in the piston rings
Old 02-25-2012, 04:40 AM

I thought i said a little bit about mechanically how they work above , you remove the cams and add the keys in the end next to the lobe making sure before and after they are lined up.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:42 AM

^^^^ Yes Razz what AJ said its easy to understand NOT .

Quick Reply: DMS 450BHP Supercharge built for Greg