UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

DIY help

Old 09-13-2008, 04:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default DIY help

Im about to look for a more permenant/robust solution.

From the left hand side of my airbox there is a large diameter pipe which runs to the side (the oval gap near the headlamp).

But i cant think of a way to attach it to the oval hole , any ideas?
Old 09-13-2008, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can shape plastic drain pipe using a heat gun or blow torche, get some thick gloves and when the plastic is soft shape it to the hole in the wing then pour cold water on it to fix it.
or cut two thin plastic plates just bigger than the hole and clamp them either side of the hole using self tapping screws, then cut a hole for the pipe dia and fit it to the top plastic plate
or
carve a mould out of polystyren to make a transition from the oval hole to the round pipe, when happy cover it in fibre glass and let it harden, sand the outside smooth then dig out the polystyrene

try searching the scrap yard for sutable air intake ducts there are a lot of odd shapes in use
Old 09-13-2008, 05:25 AM

Cheers mate, theres a scarp yard about 10mins away from me, never has any bloody S's in for parts etc but ill have a look for odd bits and bobs.

I dont have access to a heat gun, i could of used a hair dryer??. Also the black plastic absorbs too much heat, im using aluminum ducting - not too good as it has coroogated edges for the air, but cant have the best of both worlds

Good idea about the fibre class

Cheers mate.

"heat is the enemy!"
Old 09-13-2008, 06:48 AM

Aluminium absorbs heat better than plastic, but a polished surface reflects radiated heat, plastic pipe with a reflective outer coating is probably the best way to go, there is a spray on heat reflective paint available its a bit more high tech than silver paint but it could be expensive

if you have a gas hob you can soften the plastic then dash out to the car and mould it to shape i dont think a hair dryer will have enough power, but what do i know i havent needed one for the last 10 years

ps I have some heat reflective foil we use for lining the inner skins of gas ovens (to keep the outside cool to the touch) if you want some let me know
Old 09-13-2008, 10:59 AM

Hi mate, yes i would like some foil if i can use it (its upto the job?), ill PM you?

I visited a scrappie today, took off my gold watch and hid the car as they'd probably charge me more , i managed to get this beauty (off a top mounted turbo for toyoa 4x4) for
Old 09-13-2008, 11:50 AM

if you want some heat reflective coatings demon tweeks do lots of types depending on the use. there offen used in motorsport. not that expensive either
Old 09-13-2008, 01:03 PM

hi mate could you point my in the right direction?

cheers

I will post pics up when done.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:41 PM

oxhouser, did you remove a section from a snorkle, do you have any more pics?.

I have PM'd you, i also finsihed my side pipe today its fully enclosed.

I would consider doing the same and maybe putting a seal along the cut out edges to make a seal on the bonnet.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,Sep 14 2008, 12:41 PM
oxhouser, did you remove a section from a snorkle, do you have any more pics?.

I have PM'd you, i also finsihed my side pipe today its fully enclosed.

I would consider doing the same and maybe putting a seal along the cut out edges to make a seal on the bonnet.
all i have is these 3

hardest part is getting the profile of the box to match the underside of the bonnet, i used plastacine to build up two sides, make them bigger than needed then a little wd 40 on the underside of the bonnet and close it, when you lift the bonet you have a good match for whats needed.
if you have a snorkle you could just cut out the top and bottom section were its most restrictive sort of just leave the sides intact then a little foam around the bottom to seal against the front cross beam and some around the top to seal against the bonnet underside- the idea is to be not less in cross section than the rectangular section that fits in the air box and if thats not possible not less than the throttle body.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:39 AM

http://www.driftworks.com/catalog/products...n-sheeting.html

sorry for the delay. im still looking. lol