UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

DIY Cold air feed

Old 07-31-2008, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Hypersonik,Jul 31 2008, 04:50 AM] A ram air system will gain you power regardless as there will be less drag on the cuombusting cylinder from the induction cylinder.

Personally, I would just get one that fits in the front arch.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oxhouser,Jul 31 2008, 09:49 AM
I did this a while ago, you need to cut a hole in the bottom section of the air box and epoxy a 3 to 4 inch dia tube into it, then run a pipe from this to the plastic divider that seperates the engine bay from the area behind the drivers side false vent (its the same position that most CAI use) i used push fit drain pipe and bends but if you can pick up one of the cheap fleabay CAI's and do a bit of cut and shut it could look quite good

this shows two feeds as i used 3" pipe and i did not want to go less cross section than the standard intake opening in the air box
Oxhouser, where did you route the feed to the side of the airbox please?

What sort of heat resistant sheeting do you use?
Old 07-31-2008, 09:24 AM

The pipe on the side nearest the offside wing goes to the gap between the radiator and the inner wing, you have to flatten the pipe so it looks like a large Hoover attachment so it fits the space, its not hard a warm air gun or a blow torch if you use it careful.
The covering on the rubber tube is a heat reflective sleeve it comes in a 1 meter length and laces up with a choice of colored laces it came mail order from usa, the airbox was covered in self adhesive aluminum foil i bought it from http://www.rallyusedparts.co.uk/default.cfm
its cheap and you only use 10% of the roll
heres another version fully insulated also with resonator box removed for a nicer sound

edit heres a photo showing the side feed, sprayed crinkle black
Old 07-31-2008, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by oxhouser,Jul 31 2008, 05:24 PM
The pipe on the side nearest the offside wing goes to the gap between the radiator and the inner wing, you have to flatten the pipe so it looks like a large Hoover attachment so it fits the space, its not hard a warm air gun or a blow torch if you use it careful.
The covering on the rubber tube is a heat reflective sleeve it comes in a 1 meter length and laces up with a choice of colored laces it came mail order from usa, the airbox was covered in self adhesive aluminum foil i bought it from http://www.rallyusedparts.co.uk/default.cfm
its cheap and you only use 10% of the roll
heres another version fully insulated also with resonator box removed for a nicer sound

edit heres a photo showing the side feed, sprayed crinkle black
Nice work, so regarding the pipe is that opened ended?, where does the pipe end/finish?

I'm just trying to visualise this in my head
Old 07-31-2008, 05:22 PM

pipe at the side finishes about 1" past the rad, theory is this area is a high pressure zone from the air comming in from the front opening meeting the restriction of the rad. this pipe alone is not big enough you need two this dia to keep the infeed unrestricted.
this was one of the best for noise and i felt a bit more go

but it sufferd bad from heat soak
from all the different versions and tests i did (and its alot) i would say 2 x 3" pipes sealed to the front vents is the way to go, only air from outside is allowed in and once on the move you get the benifit of ram air
isulate everything the air box in the other pictures has silver foil then buble wrap then silver foil (on the bottom) and foil only on the lid and it still saw the temps rise inside the box if the car stopped moving.
its probably a days easy work with removing the bumper ets difference between this and a CAI is
filter is in the airbox and easy to change, no chance of filter getting wet.
looks ans sounds standard.
better for heat soak than ally pipes.
poss more responsive with shorter trackt between filter and engine than long CAI.
ram air.
realistically it will not transform the car, just a little better
Old 08-01-2008, 01:34 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

What's that CAI kit?

It looks to solve the restriction problem that the Spoon one creates. One of the best I've seen.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost as good as mine

Old 08-01-2008, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Shopman,Aug 1 2008, 11:52 AM

Almost as good as mine
Good work shopman, i take that makes a small scoop when the bonnet is closed, how did you make it?

cheers
Old 08-01-2008, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Aug 1 2008, 09:34 AM

What's that CAI kit?

It looks to solve the restriction problem that the Spoon one creates. One of the best I've seen.
That is good, looks like it has reduced the bottlekneck on the spoon as nick say.

Where does it route to?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,Aug 1 2008, 01:36 PM
Good work shopman, i take that makes a small scoop when the bonnet is closed, how did you make it?

cheers
It is made of pipe insulation foam covered in good old Duck tape

Been on the car for almost three years and the car has not kango'd since fitting.
I measured intake temps before and after and heat soak decreased by quite a factor.
Also insulated over the top of the rad.

Basically trial and error to make but materials not expensive!

If you look at the area in the photo there is a scoop formed in the bonnet and hole at the front as if Honda did originally think of adding something similar.

Before and after

Quick Reply: DIY Cold air feed