UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Directional tyres - replace in pairs?

Old 10-16-2002, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you will be aware that my car is currently off the road and undergoing repair. Whilst discussing the situation with the mechanic this morning, he mentioned that they would be replacing one of the rear tyres (stock S02s)

I asked him whether this would cause a problem in that one rear tyre would be brand new whilst the other would have 8,000 miles wear on it. When it was serviced last week, the report indicated that the rears had 5mm of tread left on them (down from 8 when they're new, as I understand it). He said that because the tyres are directional, he didn't think that this would be a problem, but they'd test it before handing the car back and replace both if need be.

Does anyone know from previous experience whether S02s are supposed to be replaced in pairs, or whether it's acceptable to simply replace one? I gather from my own tyre expert (our very own Jenny, who posts on here and used to work in a tyre supply depot!) that some manufacturers apparently recommend replacing in pairs (eg Avon) but not all.

I'll probably have to call my local dealer but, given how unreliable they have been in the past, I thought I'd see whether the very substantial body of collective wisdom on the board had an answer first.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:36 AM

IMHO - As the rolling radius of the tyres will be different, the differential will have to make up the difference, thus causing extra load. I would say change both.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:41 AM

Should have thought about this earlier. On 4 wheel drive vehicles, manufacturers recommend that all 4 tyres are changed at the same time for the same reason as above. If only 2 tyres are changed then the difference in the rolling radius will knacker one of the diffs.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'd always like to change both particularly if they're SO2s and the weather is gonna be pants by the time you get it back. I'm pretty sure there's only 8mm on brand new ones so you're only looking at a 3mm difference.

It's a bummer but unless they're taking the piss with the price, I think I'd opt for 2 as you're always goiing to be changing one tyre at a time on the back for evermore!
Old 10-16-2002, 06:01 AM

It is to some extent academic anyway, Cedric - I think when it's back on the road, I'll be putting F1s onto it PDQ. The S is my only car and whilst I don't envisage driving it a lot over the winter (or at least only when it's dry), I'd rather have the peace of mind of knowing I've got at least SOME grip in the wet.

Just curious as to what people's views on here were really. If I can get the insurers to stump for two new S02s rather than just one, I might as well. I suppose I could always pay for the near side tyre out of my own pocket, if push comes to shove.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:10 AM

Well looking at it I'd say ........THIS car+ SO2s = change BOTH ...... IF you're going to drive it on the SO2s

Don't let Friday put you off driving the car Mark, you can't put a price on what you learned there.. ....you're a wiser bunny already. Some things in life just can't be bought, you gotta wade through the brown sticky stuff!
Old 10-16-2002, 06:29 AM

Change both Mark!!!!

Get Honda on the case to back you up. If the ins. co. kick up big style, then negotiate with them re the 8,000 miles proportionate wear and get them to pay the difference.

That's what I'd do anyway

For the sake of 2 or 3 thousand miles on the worn one it just is not worth the risk!

Pete
Old 10-16-2002, 08:22 AM

"our very own tyre expert" Mark, that could be taken as slander or libel or whatever the correct word for it is. Mind you, beats saying some of the other things i've heard whilst working in the tyre industry

Anyway as far as I know (having just checked with my friendly tyre employee), you don't need to change directional tyres in pairs on this occasion. "Its technically perfectly safe" (or so i'm told) to change only the one. The tread depth would only come into it if you were down to around 2.5mm of tread. Since you have at least 5mm tread still on the tyre thats not being replaced, then all's well (or so i'm told - do not quote me Mr Turner - i don't fancy being sued by you )

Oh by the way, the above info is for directional tyres on all of the car. If a car only has 2 of its tyres that are directional then the rules change and both of the directional would need to be changed. Don't ask me why, got way too techincal at that point for me to continue listening to him oh and its nearly time for me to finish work

Mark, having said all that if Honda want to pay for 2 new tyres then who are you to stop them
Old 10-16-2002, 08:25 AM

It's the insurance company rather than Honda who are paying, and they're unfortunately not known as a breed for their willingness to lay out cash unnecessarily, especially if the expert advice is that only one of the tyres has to be changed.

Never mind. Markcu has offered to grease my palm with silver if I want to part with my S02s, so that will help defray the cost of F1s all round
Old 10-16-2002, 10:11 AM

Oh, insurance companies can be so mean at times

Quick Reply: Directional tyres - replace in pairs?