UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Differences between UK and EU S2Ks

Old 03-20-2009, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Differences between UK and EU S2Ks

OK; I know that this has likely been done to death over the years in general, but I've done a lot of searching and reading here on this forum and am still unsure about actual differences between UK and EU cars.

This Wed I was at my local Honda place (Marshall of Scarborough - formerly one of the DeVries dealers) for two reasons: 1) get my EU import registered on Honda UK system to get warranty validated and 2) get the car PDI'd just in case Motor Depot of Hull (where I got the car from) hadn't quite done the job right - the car was cheap for a reason, right?

So; warranty sorted out quickly and efficiently. And PDI done (albeit 400 miles in) and the very helpful, seemingly knowledgable and helpful guy who did the work said everything was spot-on re the car and that MD had actually done the PDI right - all the settings, pressures everything were bang-on. So to Motor Depot for prepping the car right.

During my time there I spent a lot of time talking with the visiting Area Sales Manager who obviously wanted to have a bit of a go at me for buying an import and, as such, said:
1) Do bear in mind that there ARE material differences between a UK car and an EU import. No there aren't I said. Yes there are he said, such as the intake manifold is different as well as other things (which he didn't specify/elaborate upon). Funny: the guy in the workshop who looked after my car and I looked at my car's intake manifold and compared it with a 57-plate MY06 UK car's and we couldn't see any difference. SO: do you guys know whether he is right? And are there ANY differences between UK and EU cars other than the warranty being 3yrs/60K miles rather than 3yrs/90K miles and EU cars lacking LWNs (as mine certainly did - Honda OEM ones put on on Wed for
Old 03-20-2009, 01:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RON,Mar 20 2009, 09:00 PM
are there ANY differences between UK and EU cars other than the warranty being 3yrs/60K miles rather than 3yrs/90K miles and EU cars lacking LWNs
No, not since the 04 revision. Prior to 04 the EU imports didn't have a POS alarm

You would believe anything a car salesman would say?

Old 03-20-2009, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my MY00 EU import doesn't have an alarm as esem mentioned above, it also has a boot release button separate on the keyfob which the UK MY00 cars i've seen haven't.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:32 PM

I was at Norton Honda Letchworth earlier this week to get the code for my stereo. The guy serving me told me I only had 2 years/60,000 mile warranty because its an EU import. It originated in Malta. I hope he is talking nonsense.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by FX07,Mar 20 2009, 10:32 PM
I was at Norton Honda Letchworth earlier this week to get the code for my stereo. The guy serving me told me I only had 2 years/60,000 mile warranty because its an EU import. It originated in Malta. I hope he is talking nonsense.
He IS talking nonsense: you have a THREE year/60K miles warranty.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by eSeM,Mar 20 2009, 09:13 PM
No, not since the 04 revision. Prior to 04 the EU imports didn't have a POS alarm

You would believe anything a car salesman would say?

Of course I wouldn't and that's why I argued with the guy, checked with the mechanic and then looked for verification one way or the other here. But at the end of the day neither would I somewhat rudely and ostensibly arrogantly labour a point with someone (and in front of his colleagues) who I have only just met in the mistaken belief that I know everything about a subject that at the end of the day is his livelihood and merely one of my hobbies.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by 98RON,Mar 21 2009, 12:43 AM
Of course I wouldn't and that's why I argued with the guy. But at the end of the day neither would I labour a point with someone who I have only just met in the mistaken belief that I know everything about a subject that at the end of the day is their livelihood and my hobby.
Whats that got to do with it, he might be a salesman but he hasnt a clue about the S, go back armed with the facts and nail him like i did with our local Stealer, he hadnt a faintest about the S
Old 03-20-2009, 03:58 PM

Ron

We have been here before haven't we.

Apart from locking wheel nuts...
There is not 1 single nut, bolt, screw, carpet piece, washer etc etc difference between an EU import and a UK car.

The EU imports have a UK serial number range. Open the bonnet - take a note of the VIN number - call Honda UK.

They will tell you that your number is in the UK serial number range.

The sales rep is trying to wind you up, ( commission you see ) I have had this with Honda Maidenhead and with SGT Alfa ( which I also bought as an EU import ).
Just ignore them or bet the area manager
Old 03-20-2009, 04:05 PM

[QUOTE=RISLAR,Mar 20 2009, 11:51 PM] Whats that got to do with it, he might be a salesman but he hasnt a clue about the S, go back armed with the facts and nail him like i did with our local Stealer, he hadnt a faintest about the S
Old 03-20-2009, 04:08 PM

[QUOTE=Gaspode,Mar 20 2009, 11:58 PM] Ron

We have been here before haven't we.

Apart from locking wheel nuts...
There is not 1 single nut, bolt, screw, carpet piece, washer etc etc difference between an EU import and a UK car.

The EU imports have a UK serial number range. Open the bonnet - take a note of the VIN number - call Honda UK.

They will tell you that your number is in the UK serial number range.

The sales rep is trying to wind you up, ( commission you see ) I have had this with Honda Maidenhead and with SGT Alfa ( which I also bought as an EU import ).
Just ignore them or bet the area manager

Quick Reply: Differences between UK and EU S2Ks